sidewinders

are 50 years old? damn, i remember everett hale on the news reels talking about them while some combat footage played. anyone need newsreels and everett hale explained?

That happened some time ago...I have a sterling and gold coin that was struck to commemorate the AIM-9's 50th. Been around since '52, turned

50 in 2002.
Reply to
Rufus

first kill in 56?

According to the net:

"On 24 September 1958, the Sidewinder achieved the world's first successful use of air-to-air guided missiles, when Taiwanese F-86Fs shot down Communist Chinese MiG-15s using AIM-9Bs supplied by the U.S. Navy."

And the AGM-45 (Shrike) will turn 50 (from first flight) in 2010.

The AIM-7 is 50 years old, too (50 years in service) as of 2006. I'll have to watch for commemoratives.

Reply to
Rufus

i collect commemorative coin stuff if you ever get doubles.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure I got one of the last of the Sidewinder coins - there were only two left when I bought mine, and another one of the old 'Winder heads in our club got the other.

Reply to
Rufus

tanks i collect american coins also....and you know about the bikes.

I seem to be collecting guitars now...got another one in mind to order. And I keep forgetting I have one on backorder that I'm supposed to get in March.

Reply to
Rufus

i don't have the space....

Neither do I, from the last look...but I never let that stop me.

Reply to
Rufus

Hale, yes; newsreels, no. I was just watching the Pa. Cable channel the other night and since the politicians aren't in Harrisburg causing trouble they were running plant tour videos. The one most pertinent to this topic was of Tobyhanna Depot. They take old munitions, strip them down and rebuild them. The first weapons they discussed were Sidewinders. Interesting to see one disassembled. Sorry I didn't tape the segment.

They also ran one today of the Mack truck museum in Allentown. I was switching over to watch anytime NBC ran promos for its retarded shows during the Rose Parade.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It was a Red Chinese Mig going home with a dud in its tail that allowed the Soviets to make their own copies.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller