Slightly OT: Current "Collectible Automobile".

While it is a 1/1 car magazine there is an article in this issue on Mr. Ross Cousins. He's an artist who has illustrated many cars for brochures and even contributed some styling to various autos. After retiring from GM he did some painting for MPC boxart - most specifically the original Star Wars' kits. OTOH, I hope he didn't have anything to do with the 'Profile Series' boxings of Airfix kits. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yes, this is a great magazine! I also never imagined seeing a full blown writeup about Ford Maverick in CA Mag! They must be running out of classic collectible American automobiles... I can just see the next one: Ford Pinto - complete story behind Ford's first sub- compact. :-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I'm waiting for them to preach the gospel of Yugo...

Reply to
eyeball

The Maverick was a good car. I bought one the first year it was offered. It was cheaply built, but had good lines. If you saw one for the first time today, you would think it was a new car. The large engine bay looked almost empty with that small 6 cylinder engine, and you could almost stand on the ground inside the bay while working on the engine. Ford sold almost 580,000 Mavs in its first year, which was only second to the first Mustang sales of 619,000 units. But just like other good selling Ford cars, they screwed with it. I never owned a Pinto, but did have a '60 Falcon Futura.

Reply to
willshak

falcons......drool.

Reply to
someone

The Maverick my parents owned--briefly--was a lemon. It was factory new and already rusting. We got our previous car back (a Delta 88 that was six years old) and kept it running for another three or four years.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

if you can do it in a vw bug, you can do it anywhere.

Reply to
someone

i miss my 68 conti rust special.

Reply to
someone

Don't forget - they're over 30 years old now. When was the last time you saw one on the road? Aside from that, I'm a proud former Maverick owner and had mine for

11 years before being talked into trading it on an '81 Omni. Oh, how I wish I'd kept it! I had few problems doing maintenance and replaced the starter motor right in the parking place in front of our house. I kind of thought of it as the new Model A. My only annoyance with it was the lack of vent windows, something that continued in every car I've owned since. "Mavis" was also unusual in having no chrome around the side windows. Every other Maverick I saw on the road had that. Mine was one of the first produced and had the tray under the dash. Going around curves meant that everything in the tray slid side-to-side. Yeah, I loved mine and wish I still had it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D[

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D[

Gave new meaning to Fix Or Replace Daily......

Reply to
The Old Man

While that might be true the number contemporary cars which have rear seats as small as Pinto had (or smaller) is huge! Many teenagers of dating age now own such cars. Do you think that 30 years from now they will be dissing all those Hyundais, Kias, Toyotas etc?

Pintos were cheap and crappy vehicles. No matter how you look at them. Just like Chevy Vegas and AMC Gremlins.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

That's where I totally disagree. I find them extremely unatractive. Their lines never did anything for me. Same goes for Mustang II. Hey, some like blondes others like brunettes yet others like them bald... :-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Not me. I like 'em fuzzy at both ends. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller