stupid/contradictory eBay descriptions

I've recently gotten in to buying kits of models I built back in the early '70s. A lot just for the box art alone, for that "warm, fuzzy
feeling" I get when I look at them & hold them. Two really stupid comments I see regularly are something like: "MISB/never opened/still shrinkwrapped & complete". How do they know it's complete if it's never been opened? I know they're assuming that, but still.... Or another real winner, like a kit I bought today. "Unopened & believed to be complete", when right there in the pics provided, is the box top sitting next to the lower box half with the kit staring me in the face! "Unopened", huh? X-ray vision?
I know what you mean, though it's reasonable to assume it's complete if it's factory sealed. If it's open and the instructions are there why not check and make SURE it's complete? They spend a lot of time designing the ad and writing disclaimers but don't have 5 minutes to check if what they are selling is complete? The seller knows that the item is worth more if it's complete. It's in their interest to check it out yet they don't bother. I generally assume it's incomplete if they use words that imply any uncertainty about the kit or don't say it's been inventoried.
Ron
<< I've recently gotten in to buying kits of models I built back in the early '70s. A lot just for the box art alone, for that "warm, fuzzy feeling" I get when I look at them & hold them. Two really stupid comments I see regularly are something like: "MISB/never opened/still shrinkwrapped & complete". How do they know it's complete if it's never been opened? I know they're assuming that, but still.... Or another real winner, like a kit I bought today. "Unopened & believed to be complete", when right there in the pics provided, is the box top sitting next to the lower box half with the kit staring me in the face! "Unopened", huh? X-ray vision? >>
: I know what you mean, though it's reasonable to assume it's complete if it's : factory sealed. :     With the ready availability of shrink wrap machines, a sealed box doesn't necessarily mean anything. :-(
    Also, "unopened" probably refers to the inner bags if the outer shrink is gone.
    But, hey, why not complain about "new AND improved!"
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
Have seen more than a few original 1940s and 1950s kits advertised as "Still In Original Shrink-Wrap".
Now THAT is really stupid.
Tom
This kit didn't even have the plastic bags. IIRC, Monogram wasn't using them in the early-mid -70s.
The one that gets me everytime is the old hawk kits that are listed that way (MISB). After winning one auction (I emailed the buyer before hand to let him know my intent if I won the auction) I asked the seller to verify that all the pieces were in the MISB. He was a gassed that I would open the shrink wrap, but went ahead - guess what he found - nothing but plastic sprues and a few misc. parts. He cancelled the auction and went after the guy he bought it from. Buyer beware.
Woody
Frank May wrote:

posted this:

The one caveat would be as follows: in most jurstictions, the contract made is nullifiable if the seller misrepresents the merchandise s/he is selling. In other words, if a person advertises "unopened, mint condition, etc," and it comes to you as opened, the "as is/sales final" conditions do not apply. I ALWAYS print out a copy of the auction to ensure that I get the item for which I actually paid.
--
Doug Semler
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~doug_semler

I'm more leary of the guys who "don't know much about models" and when you check that's all they HAVE been selling. Kinda reeks of "dishonesty"
Dean
Some of the more hilarious e-bay offerings involve common plastic kits from the 1970s-1990s described as "Original WWII Models" and the like.
While most appear to be either ignorant or just lazy there have been many who state that these "rare" and "very old" kits date from "the 1940s, 1950s at the very latest".
I guess they are ignoring the 1970-1990 patent dates usually stamped on the box.
Tom
I ran across one the other day. The seller admitted to knowing nothing about airplanes, but they had a built-up OV-10 for $12.99, going into its WWII history all thru the description! A couple of years ago I bid on 2 built-ups, a Monogram C-47 "Viet Nam Bomber" & Revell 1/32 F4U Army plane, which , BTW, had "Navy" decals on it. :) Some folks.
: Some of the more hilarious e-bay offerings involve common plastic kits from the : 1970s-1990s described as "Original WWII Models" and the like. :     For sellers like that, I move along to the next item. They are either patently dishonest or stupid, and I really have no desire to deal with them either way. : : I guess they are ignoring the 1970-1990 patent dates usually stamped on the : box. :     Well, you are giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are literate... :-) Of course, it is possible they have no idea what (C) means. No smiley.