Bogus ebay kit descriptions - how have you handled it?

just got an out of production kit and the seller kinda made up a lot of stuff.

new, unopened bags, etc. what I got was a kit that was started, bags opened, loose parts, water damage/mold on the bottom of the box - decals are ruined. I contacted the seller and am waiting for a response. paid thru paypal.

how have you guys dealt with this stuff? its obvious the seller blew it. Not sure if it was a model seller or just someone in an antique store who did not know what they were doing.

Not too thrilled about returning it. Its a big kit. - was going to counter with a $20 refund request that would cover my search for replacement decals.

Suggestions? Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

I've found that sellers are generally willing to work with buyers so that everyone is happy. I've had a couple of cases where people who were NOT modelers described kits in such a way to be misleading, but upon contacting them they apologized, explained they were not modelers, and offered to make things right.

Reply to
Pauli G

If you did not receive what was expected, as advertised - complain to the seller, pull no punches. The few times I got snowed, I generally didn't suggest a remedy to the seller - I'd wait to see what they suggested as a remedy. I'd also gage how long it took for them to reply and get a feel for whether they were creeps or maybe something fell throught the cracks on their end that they might be willing to work out something.

If they work with you on something to your satisfaction you should be OK. If they're shitheads and dig their heels in, file a complaint with Ebay and don't be timid about it. You paid for something and didn't receive it.

My bottomline when I was an avid Ebayer was that I knew what I wanted and was willng to pay to get it - so I was usually merciless on anything that was seriously out of line. I haven't had to deal with issues like this in about 10-12 years - way back before I developed a pretty good nose for sniffing out the terrible Ebay sellers from the good ones.

The only time I'll go near Ebay these days is to sell and I haven't done that since early 2008 before they made all the changes. It's not what it used to be.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I would contact paypal NOW. Tell them you got ripped off and they will help you.

Dan Beavers

Reply to
Dan-tot

Musicman59 wrote the following:

If not successful with the seller, give negative feedback. Check with eBay and PayPal for other remedies. How was the seller rated overall?

Reply to
willshak

"Doesn't help your case but there's a listing in rec.models.railroad - the ebay picture shows a fully built kit in front of the box - lists as unopened kit.

Reply to
Val Kraut

: If they work with you on something to your satisfaction you should be OK. If : they're shitheads and dig their heels in, file a complaint with Ebay and : don't be timid about it. You paid for something and didn't receive it. : I agree - contact the seller, advise them of the discrepancy, and see what they suggest.

If you paid via PayPal, you have time to work with the seller, so I wouldn't go that route, yet. See how the seller responds first. Their reponse will also dictate my feedback to them.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I try to work with the seller at first & if they ask me what will make it right, I put the ball in their court & have them make me an offer. Usually, they've come thru with a more generous offer than I would've been happy with. If it goes to crap tho, file a complaint with eBay/PayPal & go from there.

.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

urden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

Reply to
frank