Damn Testors!

For those who care:

Testors is discontinuing PollyScale and Floquil Military. I got a notice from a vendor. I emailed Testors to confirm and they have. They want us to use the lame MM Acryl instead. I'll pass. Not only that while they were thoughtful enough to provide a chart relating Polly and Floquil to MM paints, they are also discontinuing many COLORS.

In protest I am discontinuing the use of any Testor's products as stocks run out. Any. Not sure what to do about glue yet, Tami has liquid, but I did like the consistency of the liquid in the black plastic bottles with the needle dispenser. In any case it's not as if Testors makes any models worth buying.

If this irritates or alarms you I suggest you go to:

and give your opinion.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

It's always been about the paints:

When I was in grade school all you had was Testor's Pla paint - small jars, few colors, glossy

By the time I graduated college - Official - fantastic flat colors until they went bankrupt (They surely weren't chemists) , humbroll in little tins, and the great Floquil laquers.

IR had a great line of dry flat military miniature paints - Nixon signed a bill limiting the use of lead even in small jars.

Over the years Floquil went from Xylene to Toluene to Enamels and dropped many colors

Thinner based were replaced by water based

Floquil introduced a complete line of navy paints - then dropped them

Badger introduced navy colors and then dropped them

The story goes on and on - the one thing in modeling that has always sucked except in very special times was the availability of good paints. The paints are like Lucy and the football in Charlie Brown.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Frank,

Testors killed the Floquil Military line when they took it over. They have not DARED kill the model railroad colors as there are more train buffs than any other kind of modeler (and it does not "compete" with anything else in Testors' line).

Killing Polyscale to force people to buy MM Acryl is not a smart move and may force more modelers to either Gunze Sangyo or Tamiya, even with their far more limited selection.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

When Testors took over the Pactra line they dropped all the enamel paints. I've been annoyed with them ever since. As for their glue, I haven't used that since 1969. I used Pactra's right up until Testors killed that and then switched to Plastruct and/or Ambroid's. One bottle of Tenax convinced me to give up on that. Most of it disappeared before I could use it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Mad Modeller wrote in news:S5qdnTirR7qtjQXRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ain't thatn the truth. I had forgotten about Pactra. I had started using those just before they got killed off. Still have bottles, the Scale Black is pretty good.

Agreed on the Tenax, too. I thought I must have knocked the damn thing over it evaped so quickly.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns9DF9E708522A3Wereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.142:

Oops, sorry for the poltical commentary. That sig is for a different group. Let's not all get our swords out. 8)

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Val Kraut wrote: : It's always been about the paints: : : Floquil introduced a complete line of navy paints - then dropped them : Don't forget the Floquil Military Colors. Still can't find a "warm" gray, like FS303319/303321, Israel Lt. Gray & Israel Tan, respectively.

For all of the colors Testors has killed consolodating the hobby paint market, I'm voting with my wallet, and few of its' contents go to Testors. : : Badger introduced navy colors and then dropped them : And don't forget about the episode of Badger paints turning to cottage cheese in the bottle - contaminated during manufacture, apparently. Very limited color selection, as well.

I have been working with Tamiya and Gunze Mr Color (no Aqueous Hobby Color!)

Does anybody have a source for Revell Germany paints? A club member swears they make the only correct color for the German Army (Bundeswehr), but US customs won't let it in, and no explaination for it, either.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

0vbp.googlegroups.com:

Ignorant question... And you've got the topic right! I've bought two bottles of MM Acryl, not realizing it. I REALLY need them to work, but the first attempt at brushing was so horrible and I ruined the brush trying to clean it with water, paint thinner, and rubbing alcohol! What exactly do I have to have to clean a brush...?

Reply to
hill4448

innews: snipped-for-privacy@c16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

I use 'Klean Strip' Brush Cleaner. Comes in a 1 Qt. can. Works with acryl, enamel, and lacquer. I have cleaned brushes that were rock solid with paint, including a brush found in a stash box that was caked with paint for over 30 years. Available most places where paints are sold. Link below is just for the pic of the can.

willshak

2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

Hi Everyone, Over the years (60+) I've used nearly every paint brand mentioned in the above posts. Strangely, Poly S was the only one I was never satisfied with. It clogged the airbrush and was almost impossible to remove from the airbrush if it happened to dry there. As to the MM acryl line, though it may be limited in color (not that I've noticed) it has always worked satisfactorily for me. Just never use Gunze acrylic thinnner with it ...it turns to mush! I've used Gunze and Tamiya acryls with no problems as long as the appropriate thinner is used and my bud swears that regular lacquer thinner can be used on any of it either for thinning or clean up. Haven't fooled around much with the newer Gunze acryl lacquers but what I have done with them has been satisfactory so far.

=20 Cliff Davis "Ol' 45"

Reply to
Ol' 45

We're obviously guessing as to their reasons, but could it be they don't like the solvents used? If that seems likely, you might want to try their acrylics.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Rob van Riel wrote: : On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 04:50:18 +0000, Bruce Burden wrote: :> Does anybody have a source for Revell Germany paints? A club :> member swears they make the only correct color for the German Army :> (Bundeswehr), but US customs won't let it in, and no explaination :> for it, either. : : We're obviously guessing as to their reasons, but could it be they don't : like the solvents used? If that seems likely, you might want to try their : acrylics. : That is the rub - these are "Aqua color" paints - acrylics. Doesn't mean there is _something_ the US Customes/Postal Service doesn't like, of course.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

The old classic Pactra "Flat Aluminum" in the larger orange-lidded jar was incredible. It was about the only enamel metallic that actually cured completely. One could mask over it, and even brush paint over it, with no ill effects.

Reply to
Greg Heilers