Suggestions for glosscoat over Tamiya acrylic?

Now that I've got the paintjob done right on the PZ 38(t) I need to get ready for the wash. Conventional wisdom dictates I need a glosscoat first right? If so, what do you suggest for a glosscoat over Tamiya acrylics?

I've had terrible results with Testors "spraycan" glosscoat. I ended up with a blotchy and not particularly glossy finish.

From what I've read so far, Future sounds cheap and easy (consistency is right for airbrushing right out of the bottle?), the only drawback being it sounds like the paintjob will need to cure for close to a month (?!) before I can put the future on.

Reply to
[Zoots]

Tamiyas own gloss is IMHO the highest gloss in acrylic,but you might want to dull it down a bit.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Yes, Future can be airbrushed without thinning, but I prefer to brush it by hand. It goes on perfectly, self-leveling, never any brush marks.

I've used it on Tamiya acrylics after letting the paint cure for only a day or too. It does tend to soften the paint a bit, but that's not a problem unless you drag the brush over the same spot too many times. Just brush it on quickly with as few strokes as possible. For large areas, I like to use a wide chisel-shaped artist's brush.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

I use Future over Tamiya, waiting two days for the paint to cure before putting the Future on. I've never had a problem with the Tamiya behaving badly under the Future. However, if you need to remove the Future, you'll ruin the underlying paint, which is not necessarily true of the other paints I've used (Poly Scale, Model Master).

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

"Wayne C. Morris" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@shawnews.wp.shawcable.net:

Concur with the day or two for Tamiya to cure before Future-ing.

TF

Reply to
TForward