Tamiya clear acrylic instead of Future

Hi,

I am unable to obtain Future where I am, so I'm going to have to try something else for my canopies. If I use Tamiya clear (gloss) acrylic, can I get the same result (obviously at a higher cost)? If so, for dipping how much should I thin it out? Also, is dipping better than spraying?.

One other question about canopies: The canopies I have are not scratched, but when you look through them things look distorted. Does polishing and dipping in clearcoat help to remedy that?

Regards,

MB

Reply to
MonkeyBoy

I have had good results hand painting tamiya clear on canopies

Polishing and dipping does help the distortion sometimes...but if its really bad I'd replace the canopy

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

No. You have a thick piece of clear plastic that's curved, so it behaves like an asymmetric lens, and small variations in the thickness of the plastic make it worse. Sanding & polishing might even out the thickness a bit and reduce the distortion, but not by much.

If you want to eliminate the distortion, replace the canopy with a vacuum-formed part.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris