Tamiya paint ruined my model

Dear Airbrush Wizards,

Yes, Tamiya paint does ruin my models.

I use a Badger 175 (the Crescendo), have tried pressures ranging from

10-25 Psi, fine-medium-large needle, diluting with 1:3 Tamiya thinner, diluting 1:3 with distilled water, diluting 1:3 with 50-50 mix og distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, and I always get this kind of grainy surface with a texture like 400-500 grid paper. Sometimes this appears in sort of large islands, or sometimes, like my previous Hasegawa 1/72 Zero, the effect of the XF-41 (IJN green) was 100% everywhere this paint was applied. And it looks terrible!

Sigh, rinsed all paint of the entire model with a small brush, a soft towel and isopropyl alcohol. Took me like 3 days to get everything of. Decided to try the IJN from Polly Scale and Vallejo Acrylics for the bottom IJN grey finish; and the effect was like a quantum leap in quality. Effortless, perfectly smooth, clean, and homegeneous IJN green and grey everywhere.

Good, so moral could simply be: stick with Polly Scale and this might also be the path I'll choose.

But I'm still curious: Tamiya has a good reputation and is praised among many modelers, so any clues or hints about what I might be doing wrong here is most welcome.

Best, Mads

Reply to
Mads Ipsen

[snip]

Tamiya acrylics work just fine for me.

I have the same airbrush, generally use the medium needle, psi usually between 8 and 12 psi, and thin with about a 1:1 mix using Tamiya's branded thinner. I'm usually within 2 to 4 inches of the painting surface.

Reply to
John McGrail

I don't clain to be an Airbrush Wizzard, but it sounds to me like the paint is drying before it gets to the model's surface. Ideally, the paint should go on slightly 'wet' looking, even with flats / mattes. Try moving the 'brush closer to the surface until you get this happening. I find Tamiya acrylics a bit of a bugger to spray too, but then I live in a hot climate. I'm back to using Humbrol enamels mostly.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Outch...! Do you mean one part of paint to three parts of thinner ? It yes, search no further, it's waaaaaay over-thinned. If it's the opposite, it's not much better either - the right ration for Tamiya being around 1:1 with their own thinner.

Wrong air/paint ratio. You have a moisture trap on the line ?

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

In my experience, Tamiya acrylics are more prone to premature drying than other acrylic paints. Part of the problem in your case might be that you are too far away from the model when you spray, allowing some of the droplets to dry before they hit the surface, which gives you the gritty look. This will be accentuated by a greater proportion of isopropyl alcohol in your thinning mix. I don't think your pressure setting is too high, but high pressure can also be a culprit in premature drying.

My own preference in acrylics is generally for Polly Scale, but I do use Tamiya white because it is IMO the best acrylic white for opacity, which is no small thing. I also use Tamiya yellow for the same reason, especially since I use the white to prime large areas destined to be painted yellow, and thus I can be assured of compatibility between the paints. For these purposes, I think it's worth it to put up with the finicky nature of Tamiya.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Sorry, I was wrong there: the ratio is 3:1, i.e. 3 parts Tamiya per 1 part thinner.

Yes I do.

Reply to
Mads Ipsen

I suggest If airbrushing,,, thin any acrylic paint with a small amount of "acrylic airbrush medium",, than only a small amount of "thinner"(alcohol, water , windshield fluid) if necessary. "airbrush medium" will improve the sprayability , flow ,and prevent tip dry

alcohol, water , windshied fluid,windex(the list goes on) add nothing beneficial to the mixture if used alone. other than making it thin enough to spray thru the brush.Unfortunately They also break down the paint in the process. now If your just spraying a couple tiny parts It doesn't make a big difference how you thin it. medium will make your life easier

airbrush medium can be found in most craft/art stores.

Reply to
spiff

Okay, make sure it is empty.

Mix thoroughly the paint, thin it 1:0.75-1 with Tamiya's thinner, spray at 1.1-1.5 bar, at a distance of 1-3". If it's still grainy, you might want to install a smaller nozzle on the airbrush.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun