The good old days.

Don't try that with plastic bottles though. The lacquer thinner will eat its way through.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Turpentine will also work ,and wont evaporate as fast as lacquer thinner.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

turpentine does not work well for reviving paint. the generic paint thinner like the walmart stuff is useless. for reviving old paint, laquer thinner works bext. i've also tried naptha, acetone, superclean, alcohol, ammonia, pikrete and baby spit. laquer thinner is the shit for paint resurrection.

I remember his letter to Model Railroader. At the time I was working in an environment that had a lot more of that chemical floating in the air than I would get at home. Another comforting reason for not being there anymore.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i have used laquer thinner thinned paints with a brush for years. no way airbrush only. never had a problem.

Works for me ,I've got Humbrol paints over 20 years old and I use turpentine exclusively for my enamel paints ,Never use anything else. I also bought out a hobby stores' stock of Tamiya enamels in the 10ml bottles 6 years ago some were dried out when I got them from the shop ,some still are ,all I use is turpentine to revieve them. I buy my turpentine from a paint supply shop that professional painter use.

Kevin (Bluey) "I'm not young enough to know everything."

snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

never got turp to revive dry humbrol. i'll try it on old pactra, though. it's about half the price of laquer thinner around here. it's just distilled pine sap, correct?

As I understand it's made from some type of tree bark. I usually put some in the bottle with the dried paint and leave it for a day or so , to let it soak into the dry pigment. Then give it a good beating with metal rod . I generally buy the turps from where the professional painters get their supplies, rather than the supermarkert stuff. Painters use turpentine to thin and clean up their brushes after applying enamel house paints ,and I believe that hobby enamel paints are the same paint , but possibly with a finer pigment particle. I buy my matt black enamel paint in 250ml tins from the hardware store and have had no trouble using it thinned through my airbrushes. The turpentine is slower drying than lacquer or white spirit ,thinned paint which is ok in my climate as the lacquer thinned paint acts like acrylics here, dries before it gets to the intended target.

I discovered there are two types of lacquer thinner as well ,the normal type lacquer thinner , and an acrylic lacquer thinner .

I decanted a grey primer from a spray can meant for automotive use "Duplicolor" I think the brand name was.I used the generic enamel (lacquer) thinner to clean the container and the paint turned into a globby mess . Seems this paint is a acrylic lacquer( non aqueous acrylic) and requires the correct thinner ,leason learn't before I used it in my airbrushes , could have been messy .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

"Kevin(Bluey)" wrote in news:444f75ec$ snipped-for-privacy@quokka.wn.com.au:

I just had a wierd experience with Humbrol. I brush painted an upper wing of a Fokker EV with Humbrol Olive and the damn stuff would lay down and dry. Plastic was clean, dishwashing soap and warm water, and I was using some enamel thinner, don't remember which I've got several and I'm attriting down to 1.

I've never had that happen before, I'm going to try it again or just shoot it with the airbrush. Anyone have any thoughts?

Frank

Reply to
Grey Ghost

I assume you mean "wouldn't lay down and dry"

Wrong thinner, I'd guess. I had exactly the same experience after I tried thinning Revell Enamel with white spirit (I think you call it mineral spirits?) - the thinner I use for Humbrol.

Not all enamel thinners are the same, and mixing them needs to be done on an experimental basis. If what you tried was using Revell enamel thinner in your Humbrol tin, then you have discovered that they don't mix :-) . Safest to thin only with the manufacturers thinner unless you already know that they are compatible - for instance I know that white spirit is compatible with Humbrol, Xtracolor and old Airfix paints, and Revell thinner is only compatible with Revell enamels and vica versa.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Alan Dicey wrote in news:4451c7c4$0$2547$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

DOH! Ah, yes.

Yeah I think I may have used some pactra thinner I'd had out and been using with other painet. It was working well with some others so I may have just used it. Going to have to be more careful.

Frank

Reply to
Grey Ghost

Frank, I learned early on not to use anybody else's thinner with Humbrol. They just do not work well. If you have any leftover you'll probably find it caking up into goo.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-modeller

Mad-modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

Since I usually take a small amount of paint onto a pallette and then add the thinner I think I'm alright.

Frank

Reply to
Grey Ghost