thunderbirds are go

the props from the new kidz flic look good. couldn't read the creds, gerry anderson?

Gerry Anderson was not involved, he sold the rights to a movie of his creation long ago. And reports say he's not too happy with it.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

from the coming attractions, it looks like a 9-14 year old aimed piece of fluff.

Gerry Anderson ("allegedly") refused to have anything to do with the new movie after seeing the draft screenplay, he is reported as saying that he couldn't stand the thought of true Thunderbirds fans accusing him of selling out.

From what I've seen / heard of the previews so far, i.e. the silver uniforms and Lady P's Rolls Royce is now a Ford, I guess he wasn't far wrong.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm sure it will appeal to the kids just as the original series appealed to me all those years ago. I just guess our expectations rise as we get older.

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips

what, no six wheeled roller?

It's a Ford. It might possibly be 6-wheeled, however.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

But SO WAS THE ORIGINAL!

And it was so, so damned much better...

Hell, I just watched 'Thunderbirds are Go!' on UK TV, one of the original Thunderbirds movies, and it fair made the old heart soar... The Zero-X was one of the greatest designs ever.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

prolly just another hollywood dirty money laundry.

I'm not surprised at that. From what I've seen they've butchered the original and only taken parts of it. The most glaring piece of stupidity is changing LP's pink Rolls Royce to a Ford (or possibly something else of unknown origin), they claim to have been faithful to the original in that it had to have 6 wheels (4 at the front) and a bubble canopy. They missed the most important part of the whole concept was that it WAS a Rolls Royce! LP was English, had a cockney butler and lived in a stately mansion and drove, that most iconic of British cars, a Rolls Royce. Not just any old Rolls Royce, hers was pink, something RR would never do but, such was her influence, she got them to do it. That told you more about the character than anything else, something which seems to have passed the scrip writers completely.

Add to that Jeff Tracy seems to have got younger by 25 years, as has everyone else, TB5 now looks like an overgrown MIR, TB2 now has EIGHT pods (are they kidding or what?), TB4 looks like something they'd explore the Titanic with and god knows what they've done to Firefly, it looks like it's made out of Lego bricks. On top of that they now have SILVER uniforms without IR insignia.

Add to that the script, from what I've heard, is poor and all you've got is a recipe to annoy generations of TB fans.

Its seems they have NO idea what made the series so appealing to so many people, all this abomination is is a vehicle for the current trend for using super duper special effects just for the sake of it. Just as they managed to butcher one British classic film (The Italian Job, in LA for Gods sake!) they have now managed to do the same to another British classic, all for the sake of a buck or two.

Steve

Reply to
Steve H

Not sure whether this is true, but I was told that Rolls Royce were first choice to produce the car for the film but they turned it down because it would be too costly to build. As a result the contract was handed over to Ford.

Cheers,

Nigel

"Steve H"

Reply to
Nigel Heather

I was at the cinema a few weeks ago and saw the trailor for what looks like another Hollywood travesty.

From the trailor it seemed to the usual over dose of hollywood glamour, plus the increasingly common casting :- the good guys (the English) appear to have American accents, whilst the bad guys (the Romans) appear to have English accents !!!

Cheers,

Nigel

"Steve H"

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Guys-- Of course FAB 1 is a Ford...

A FORD THUNDERBIRD!

Reply to
CaptCBoard

Saw a doc on the making of this travesty two nights ago, they built the car themselves, and its pretty functional, certainly driveable. I just can't believe they couldn't grasp WHY it was a RR originally, no wonder Gerry Anderson hated it. Lady P was as English as they get, why would they think she'd drive a pink Ford???

It's just such a shame, they had the chance to pay homage to genuine classic and they didn't even bother to find out what made the series what it was. I think JF thought he was still on the bloody Enterprise!

Steve

Reply to
Steve H

If anyone else in the US gets the channel MoviePlex, the schedule says they're showing Thunderbirds Are Go! this Thursday at 11:20 AM and 6:20 PM (Eastern Daylight).

Reply to
Jack Bohn

We used to but Comcrap decided we didn't need it anymore. They left the channel open for two years then stuck C-span2 in there. There went my Westerns Wednesday along with lunch with Hoppy.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

In article , "Steve H"

Actually, from what I read Rolls Royce were originally contacted to make a new car for the movie but decided not to take up the offer. Ford were approached and jumped at the chance. It reminds me of what happened with "The Italian Job" (the one and only original) where BMC were approached to supply Minis for the film and said no - the film crew eneded up having to go out and buy them instead. Ironically, the remake seemed to be driven (sic) by BMW as nothing more than an advert for their enormous hatch-back.

I think the explanation is that this is a kind of "prequel" to the original series.

I think the IR insignia are on the uniforms, albeit very small.

You missed the most awful thing. Brains has a son! Yes, Brains has a son! Sheesh!

The daft thing is that I've read various qoutes about how this movie was going to "appeal to a whole new generation of Thunderbirds fans" missing the point completely than when the BBC bought the rights to repeat the old Thunderbirds shows (and subsequent Gerry Anderson classics) in 1991, they went down a storm with a whole new generation and became the biggest toy line in years - the original series was actually bigger than it had ever been! So the notion that creaky old Thunderbirds needing updating for modern audiences is a bit of a misnomer as the original series still worked its magic decades after its original airing.

I think the biggest criticisms of the film I've read (and I'm hoping to see it this week) is that it lacks what made Thunderbirds so popular - ie things getting blown up. That's a bit like making a Godzilla movie where they forget to inlude Godzilla. Oh wait, Hollywood did that as well...

You forgot "Get Carter". What has Michael Caine done to have two of his classic films butchered in such a way? The remake of "The Italian Job" made no sense at all, other than to promote the new BMW hatchback. "The Italian Job" (original) was the quintessentially British film that had red white and blue running through its veins from Michael Caine and Noel Coward to the clasic Mini Coopers.

Oddly though, "Thunderbirds" is actually a British film!

Reply to
Jonathan M

I guess that's what happens when you sell out to the Germans.

Can't blame Ford for that.

That is true, they were very short sighted, and not for the first time. When they were shooting the original "Saint" series they were approached to supply an E Type for our hero, they declined but Volvo jumped at the chance (I guess product placement hadn't been invented then) and they sold bucket loads of cars. When it came time to shoot the sequel (The New Saint?, Return Of The Saint?) Jaguar fell over themselves to supply the XJS that was used, too little too late. With the Italian Job Fiat offered to supply supercharged Fiat 500's FOC but the producers decided against that and bought the Mini's instead, just as well as it wouldn't have been the same with the Fiat's!

That's all it was, nothing more than a 90 min advert. Ironically, my son loves the original, watches it regularly, we bought him the DVD of the remake and he's seen it once, hasn't touched it since.

I read that too, it, of course, begs the question, why?

You're kidding yes???? Now I've heard it all........

Spot on, they could have updated it and still stayed faithful to the original, the original worked after all!

Just unlucky....

Exactly, what works for The Italian Job is the "them Vs us" mentality, summed up perfectly when the old chap is putting the devices around Turin to screw up the computers, he asks for directions and can't understand a word being said, walks away muttering "bloody foreigners"...

Well, shot at Pinewood at least, but with Hollywood money and a Hollywood director etc etc.......

Steve

Reply to
Steve H

Anderson had nothing to do with this mess. It looks to be a updated version of Spy kids. I'll probably wait till it comes out in DVD to rent. At least the SFX looks good, but it's not going to save the sucky acting and storyline.

Get the NEW issue of TV ZONE (I got mine at Barnes & Nobles) because it's a Gerry Anderson Special with tons of good stuff in it.

BTW, Anderson is redoing Capt Scarlet and it's gonna be in CGI. From the assorted test shots and story-boards, it looks great. And what they are saying, they have not, and will not use any of the stories from the first series. All the stories are gonna be new.

Don't forget to get the NEW Thunderbird box set at Best Buy. It has the 2 Thunderbird movies of "Thunderbirds Are Go" and "Thunderbird 6" They had em on sale last week for $17.99.

Reply to
Mr. Plastic

The old Thunderbirds are Go was suppose to be released on DVD last Tuesday for $12-14. There are various compiliations of the show on DVD and the entire set is usually $185....

usually has box sets a lot cheaper than Amazon.

A friend gave me a box of old FSM last week and one has scale plans for the Thunderbirds spaceship, but I was more partial to Fireball XL5....

Tom

Reply to
tom hiett

The film TB2 is dreadful - nothing like the real one!

Reply to
Martin