thunderbirds are go

the props from the new kidz flic look good. couldn't read the creds, gerry anderson?

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:30:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (e) wrote:

Gerry Anderson was not involved, he sold the rights to a movie of his creation long ago. And reports say he's not too happy with it.
Wulf

from the coming attractions, it looks like a 9-14 year old aimed piece of fluff.
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:23:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (e) wrote:

But SO WAS THE ORIGINAL!
And it was so, so damned much better...
Hell, I just watched 'Thunderbirds are Go!' on UK TV, one of the original Thunderbirds movies, and it fair made the old heart soar... The Zero-X was one of the greatest designs ever.
Wulf
Wulf Corbett wrote:

If anyone else in the US gets the channel MoviePlex, the schedule says they're showing Thunderbirds Are Go! this Thursday at 11:20 AM and 6:20 PM (Eastern Daylight).
--
-Jack

Jack Bohn wrote:

We used to but Comcrap decided we didn't need it anymore. They left the channel open for two years then stuck C-span2 in there. There went my Westerns Wednesday along with lunch with Hoppy.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
"Wulf Corbett" wrote in message

I'm not surprised at that. From what I've seen they've butchered the original and only taken parts of it. The most glaring piece of stupidity is changing LP's pink Rolls Royce to a Ford (or possibly something else of unknown origin), they claim to have been faithful to the original in that it had to have 6 wheels (4 at the front) and a bubble canopy. They missed the most important part of the whole concept was that it WAS a Rolls Royce! LP was English, had a cockney butler and lived in a stately mansion and drove, that most iconic of British cars, a Rolls Royce. Not just any old Rolls Royce, hers was pink, something RR would never do but, such was her influence, she got them to do it. That told you more about the character than anything else, something which seems to have passed the scrip writers completely.
Add to that Jeff Tracy seems to have got younger by 25 years, as has everyone else, TB5 now looks like an overgrown MIR, TB2 now has EIGHT pods (are they kidding or what?), TB4 looks like something they'd explore the Titanic with and god knows what they've done to Firefly, it looks like it's made out of Lego bricks. On top of that they now have SILVER uniforms without IR insignia.
Add to that the script, from what I've heard, is poor and all you've got is a recipe to annoy generations of TB fans.
Its seems they have NO idea what made the series so appealing to so many people, all this abomination is is a vehicle for the current trend for using super duper special effects just for the sake of it. Just as they managed to butcher one British classic film (The Italian Job, in LA for Gods sake!) they have now managed to do the same to another British classic, all for the sake of a buck or two.
Steve

prolly just another hollywood dirty money laundry.
Not sure whether this is true, but I was told that Rolls Royce were first choice to produce the car for the film but they turned it down because it would be too costly to build. As a result the contract was handed over to Ford.
Cheers,
Nigel

is
it
drove,
it's
is
using
the
"Nigel Heather" wrote in message

Saw a doc on the making of this travesty two nights ago, they built the car themselves, and its pretty functional, certainly driveable. I just can't believe they couldn't grasp WHY it was a RR originally, no wonder Gerry Anderson hated it. Lady P was as English as they get, why would they think she'd drive a pink Ford???
It's just such a shame, they had the chance to pay homage to genuine classic and they didn't even bother to find out what made the series what it was. I think JF thought he was still on the bloody Enterprise!
Steve

that
the
LP
writers
pods
managed

There's two stories circulating about why Lady P's car isn't a Rolls.
1: Rolls Royce declined on the grounds that they didn't have the time to design and build the new car.
2: They didn't want to know because they thought the film would suck and they didn't want Rolls Royce to be connected with a turkey.
Believe which story you want.
What puzzles me is that a full sized FAB 1 already exists. It was built in the 60's to promote the two Thunderbirds puppet movies. OK, it's not road legal, but it would've saved the film makers a heap of money. It's also the only car in the world that's allowed to wear the Rolls Royce badge, but wasn't built by Rolls. It's actually a cut down Bedford bus.
Spudgun
(snip)

badge,
I've read Anderson's autobiograhy - Rolls Royce didn't want a bar of the original Thunderbirds either when it was first pitched to them. Their involvement came from within rather than from what was pitched at them.
The trailer looks good imo, and I've got a good excuse to go and see it even if I have to drag my 7 yr old kicking and screeming.
Mitch
"Mitch" wrote in message

That's the bottom line. They know it wasn't that widely available in the US so few peolpe know, or care for, the original. The majority of people who would be upset by it are in the UK, so who cares, right?

For "fast flowing and action packed" read: minimal script (at least not one with any substance) and huge over use of special effects (just because we can).
Steve

the
the
US
who
Of course maximising the $$ are the prime concern and if rumours are correct with the Tracy clan being youngish, then it sure to set up for a sequel which seems to be where the big dollars are.. I tend to think that if returned dollars ulimately drive the movie market then we are in real trouble - there will be no more the likes of Alan Ladd Jr's prepared to put the family jewels on the line for what they believe will be the likes of a modern day Star Wars: A New Hope. I'll give the Thunderbirds the benefit of the doubt till after I've seen it.
From what I gathered from most of Anderson's work was they were all targeted at the US market, especially the Thunderbirds. The UK was not particularly healthy place in the 60's with huge taxes and struggling film industry so it needed the audience and associated dollars from the US. The American accents and the naming of the Tracy sons after the Mercury 7 astronauts being a case in point.

and
one
we
Well yeah, and it's why I loved the original series - the models were real as were the pyrotechnics.
Mitch

Actually even more so Stingray. Stingray was, I believe, the first ever UK TV series filmed entirely in colour, at a time when there were virtually no colour TVs in the UK! But there were plenty in the US...

Gerry Anderson's shows, especially Thunderbirds, were made for the generation that played with Meccano and Lego, and built Airfix models (in the UK you didn't build Scale Models or model aircraft, you built AIRFIX models - even if the box said 'Monogram' - a bit like people nowadays who Hoover the carpet with a Dyson :-). Kids who knew perfectly well these were models, and understood how that connected them to the show. Nowadays, kids PLAY computer games, but they cannot connect to CGI in the same way, it doesn't physically exist.
Wulf
I can also remember an article in FSM around 1992 where a guy scratch-built a beautiful TB-1 and FSM's editorial caption said something about a Thunderbirds being a "short lived, long forgotton TV show" - which always amused me because (A) it was anything but short lived (it ran for two seasons and two popular feature films) and (B) it had remained the most popular of GA's show for decades (especially in the UK and Japan) and was currently (in 92) going through a massive ressaissance with a whole new generation thanks to the BBC buying the rights and screening the shows on a Friday tea-time slot.
Quite!
I remember that too, the modeller was from IPMS Barnet IIRC (Greek sounding name)and he's still building large scale SF stuff. I could be wrong of course, it may have been an American modeller being, as it was, FSM. I still have Comet Miniatures TB1 sitting up in the loft, I guess now would be as good a time as any to dig it out and finish it!
As you say Jon, it was anything BUT short lived and certainly not forgotton, as this thread well proves.
Steve

In view of some previous threads, there is a couple of new resin kits available :
KORA
--
Aircraft kits (resin)

KORA7276 1:72 'Little Boy' US atomic bomb and transporter
Jonathan M wrote:

Two seasons, does not *really* illustrate "long-lived" though...lol.
Perhaps, that is the British series average (even considering Dr. Who). But, that does remind me of a *great* Simpson's line. The family was watching PBS...and the PBS "pledge drive" dude came on to say that the network would soon air a marathon of Britain's longest-running comedy series....and that they would be showing *all* *four* *episodes* !!
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 9.1
snipped-for-privacy@earthNOSPAMlink.net wrote:

Short lived would seem to imply the show got cancelled after a few episodes like "The Visitor" or "Firefly". Back in the 1960s, two seasons of an hour long puppet show was quite an achievement!

Except but Britain's longest running comedy series has been going for some 30 years now!