Trumpeters 1/35 Loco

"e" wrote

I was exaggerating.

However, look at the BR52 example. It sort is held up as this fantastic example of German technology and power, but it's really more a case study in economy of manufacture. (Perhaps taken too far. I understand there were real compromises in performance. Wartime German - and Russian - manufacturing "improvements" here and in armored vehicles seem to have favored deleting parts and functions altogether rather than maintaining the performance while reducing manufacturing costs.) It's not a particularly noteworthy locomotive by American standards.

As to Ron's comment about American rolling stock being a "home front" subject, remember that we sent almost 2000 locomotives and 11,000 freight cars out as Lend Lease, in addition to what we brought over with our Railway Operating Battalions, so it would seem to be as "valid" a subject as, say, the US tractors and semi-trailers that have already been kitted. (Although the numbers might appear small, keep in mind that American equipments was more capable than the European "equivalents". A few examples are the standard DRB OOt coal car which had a 30 tonne (33 US ton) capacity, compared to the common pre-war US coal hopper of a 70 ton capacity; the German GG boxcars - again of 30 tonne capacity - when the most American boxcars of the wartime period were 36 foot or 40 foot 50 ton cars; or most notably for the 1/35 modeler, the fact that a run of the mill American flat car could easily carry *two* 30 ton medium tanks while it took a special capacity German car just to hold one.) Anyhoo, I'd like to see an American flat in 1/35, and would pay $100 for one in resin or $50 just for a pair of trucks and wheels . . .

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Yes but at some point Germany was the war front, no such thing here except the Aleutians and a few Pacific islands.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Check O gauge stuff, I think that's the closest to 1/35. I bet you could easily find a set of wheels and trucks to convert.

Reply to
Ron Smith

O Gauge is 1/43. Gauge 1 is 1/32.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The problem with sending US engines across to Europe is that the loading gauge is very much restricted. The S160 class was built by ALCO, Baldwin and Lima specifically for service in the UK and Europe and to conform to the UK loading gauge.

There was also a smaller class of dock shunters, a number of which were sold to the Southern Railway after the war.

Enzo Matrix

Reply to
Ron Smith

"Ron Smith" wrote

That's 1/48 while G is variously 1/22.5 or 1/24. About the only thing - possibly - usable would be wheels (which are the easiest thing to make) but they'd be on axle sets that were the wrong gauge.

Checking the numbers, the largest 1/48 wheel (36 inch) and smallest 1/22.5 (28 inch) would not be close to the required 33 inch in 1/35. . .

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

That and the max axle loading. In addition to the American stuff being "bigger and badder", it was also more efficient, safer, more economical, i.e. better.

That's really the crux of my argument: In a complete turnaround of the tank/armor situation, the American technology was vastly superior to the German. Not just bigger, say like a Maus in comparison to a Sherman, but better, say like an M60 compared to a Pz IV. There are a lot of SGF-types who don't like to hear that.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Reply to
Ron Smith

"Ron Smith" wrote

Eh, maybe someday somebody will make something useful. . .

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin