(VIDEO) 200MPH Radio Controlled Jet

Quoted from the site:

This radio controlled jet beats the pantaloons off anything we ever had as a kid. The Gruapner Hotspot Jet goes up to 200MPH and has a Jetcat P80 turbine on the back. The best part is that actually sounds like a jet. Be careful buzzing little Susie's house with this one?one wrong move and you're in for three counts of manslaughter. ? Jason Chen

Reply to
MJ Rudy

Awesome,thanks for the link.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Too fast to enjoy really. I'd rather have a jet-assisted sailplane.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Sounds like a jet because it IS a jet...

These have been around for a while - they seem to be very popular in GB and on the Continent. I'm not sure how/if they are regulated outside of the USA, but I've heard you have to posess a special rating to fly jet powered model aircraft.

I'd also suspect that the actual speed record for a jet powered model is probably well in excess of 200 MPH.

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus wrote in news:9itwg.91448$1i1.761@attbi_s72:

At 293 feet per sec one has to wonder what the usable range of an RC transmitter is. How about simply keeping a visual track on a 2' long object moving at that speed. It seems to me if you did not compensate quicjly enough you could easily lose control and at that speed and the distances involved how you could really tell.

Maybe it's just my tired old eyes. God Bless 'em if someone else could do it.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

i suspect if you can get over the weight penalty, you could use a gps and computer to have it do a programmed flight from take off to landing. or perhaps if the radio reciever has enough range, it could be controlled from the ground. i suspect this would be easiest, but i have no idea as to rc's signal range. i would think up to 25 miles doable. any real smart rc'ers out there?

I don't think I'd have the "right stuff" to fly this one...I'd be in a mild state of panic the whole time!

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Back in the day when I was heavy into R/C, the AMA used to like to stress the point that a 12 pound R/C pattern plane moving at 125 mph has the same kinetic energy as a 30-06 rifle bullet. Having been hit by a small R/C airplane once myself...yeah - you can kill someone if you make a bad enough mistake.

The best way of maintaining situational awareness flying these fast jet models would be to have a closed circuit camera onboard and fly the thing like an RPV. But I think the guys that fly them generally know the limits of their own eyeballs, and keep the things within that box. Those engines alone run upwards of $2500+...you don't take chances at that price.

I know that in the USA the FAA is taking an interest in the proliferation of large scale and high speed model aircraft operations within civil use airspace - i.e.; the sharing of operations between large models and full-scale aircraft. Av-leak has had several article on the subject. I know commercial RPV/UCAV operators are being held to the same currency standards as FAA licensed Private pilots, and are also required to be Instrument rated.

Reply to
Rufus

For further information on the RC jet turbines etc, check out URL at Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

under "Jet Engines, Jetex, Pulse Jets and Turbines" and under "Jet & Turbine RC Aircraft sites.

Artesjet News - homebuilts Boomerang Jets California R.C. Jet Association - JAA - Jet Aerosport Association of Australia Jet Adict Links Jet Links Jet World Masters jetZILLA online magazine - miniature jet propulsion. Kress Jets Philip Avonds Scale Jets ROJets Tamjets Wennmacher Modell Technik "

>>> hp

Reply to
A.T.

Just the thing for Calvin! He can finally rid himself of Susie. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller