Well, he'd only need to sell one, I guess...

Maybe they're the rare, platinum-plated versions?

MH

Reply to
MJH

The most successful modelers I know are Shep Paine and Bill Horan and they don't get prices like this. This guy is seriously misguided!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

"> Maybe they're the rare, platinum-plated versions?

I'll bet there's a great explanation - like maybe he's been telling his wife this is what a $100 kit is worth after he builds it, she believed it - ........... - and is now selling the models and other possessions. Wasn't this in an episode of Murder She Wrote? This could be the start of a really long weird thread!!!

Reply to
Val Kraut

the best part is that he is only charging $10.00 to ship from Greece.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Musicman59 wrote: : : the best part is that he is only charging $10.00 to ship from Greece. : I guess that is one way to help Greece solve their budget woes.

Like that the 1/350 is $100,000, the 1/700's are GBP100,000.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

He didn't mean USD! He meant Korean WON!!!!

1,000KRW =3D 1.12USD

That makes it far more realistic! :)

"I'm a millionaire! In WON!"

Reply to
hill4448

Another theory is that he's laundering money for the mob.

Reply to
scottlowther

Another theory is that he's laundering money for the mob.

There was a Pizza restaurant in new york some years ago that got flagged by the IRS for making many times what any other Pizza restaurant in the country was making - they reported it to the FBI - guess what they were really selling.

Reply to
Val Kraut

"> the best part is that he is only charging $10.00 to ship from Greece.

Does that include insurance?

Reply to
Val Kraut

Yeah but if you buy one of the more expensive kits for $157,230, you get FREE SHIPPING!!!!

Reply to
The Old Man

MJH wrote the following:

I'll sell you mine for $50,000 US. No Diorama, just the model. I'll include free shipping and insurance. But wait, there's more! If you act now, I'll double the value. I'll send a second Bismarck model free (only pay the shipping). But you have to act now.

Reply to
willshak

"MJH" skrev i en meddelelse news:4b7c8f4d$0$4871$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com...

Maybe the explanation is quite different. In USA comma is used as thousand separator and dot is used as decimal point. In many european countries it is opposit, that is, comma used as decimal point and dot as thousand separator.

If that is the explanation, the price drops quit a bit :-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

$0$4871$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com...

That is NOT the explanation;he doesn't want to sell anything, however he DOES "take work on commission". It's an ePay advertisement.

Reply to
The Old Man

Uffe Bærentsen wrote the following:

It says it is $100,000.00 US. Whatever the delineation, there are still 8 numbers;. 3 +3 +2 What would be the last 2 if not cents, or pence, or yen, or whatever?

Reply to
willshak

Val Kraut wrote: : : There was a Pizza restaurant in new york some years ago that got flagged by : the IRS for making many times what any other Pizza restaurant in the country : was making - they reported it to the FBI - guess what they were really : selling. : 1/700 scale ship dioramas for GBP 100,000?

Reply to
Bruce Burden

That's the "Buy It Now" price....maybe he just wants to discorage somebody from doing that and see where the bidding settles?

Reply to
OldSchool

OldSchool wrote the following:

It's not open to bidding.

Reply to
willshak

so I see (now). ah well, at least he can say he tried to get them out of the house (or wherever)

Reply to
OldSchool

I think he's completely serious. The diorama photos are beautiful; this guy seems to have done remarkable work. There are a fair number of folks in the world with more money than they can possibly spend in several lifetimes. $100K to them for a plastic model, however beautifully built, is like one of us dropping $100.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

I believe you've hit on the answer.

He may want to rethink his marketting strategy - the ludicrous pricing is more than likely going to scare away more potential clients than it attracts. Even someone in the market for museum grade work would probably not scratch into it any further than the first few chuckles and laughs.

Maybe it's just me - but when I see people "throw down the glove" like this - I start looking for features and value on the one hand and flaws on the other. For 100K, I better be able to see thru the bridge portholes and see the helmsman standing there - and his ribbons and medals better be right. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB