When bits go missing

OK first let me say bu**er!!!

Just building my M60A1 Patton model from Italeri. I was sanding down one of the tiny handles and "PING!" it flies out of my tweezers. No chance of finding this, way too tiny and could have gone anywhere :( When this happens is there anyway I can get a replacement part/sprue?

Tony

Reply to
Tone

Write to them and they'll gladly send a replacement. But I usually try this first: Put a brand new bag in your vacuum cleaner, vacuum the room, then empty the bag and search the contents. Generally, amidst the dog hair, I'll find the part, AND pieces I didn't even know I'd lost yet.

Reply to
Robert Skipper

Thanks, I found a contact on the Italeri website. Emailed them so will wait and see if I get anything back.

Good idea about the vacum cleaner, my room is a little er tricky to vacuum well though, still if I can I will :)

Reply to
Tone

Better still put an old sock or stocking over the end of the hose and hoover up. That way you don't have to rummage through a bag of crap.

Reply to
Roger Demming

Try this sometime. Take off yours shoes and socks and walk around your bench. I know critics of this technique will say that you run the risk of breaking the part if your foot finds it but if you step lightly this can be avoided. Just try to remember though if there were any Xacto blades or thumb tacks laying in your route of march. This method has worked for me on both carpets and concrete. Happy New Years! Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

for italeri spares try the hobby company. thaat i recall they are based in leighton buzzard and you should be able to get their address off of the electronic version of yellow pages.

trevor

Reply to
87015

The title almost sounds like a Fox program, doesn't it? I remembered another method from years ago in a model railroad magazine. It had to do with finding the elusive Ka-dee coupler springs that always jump out of the envelope. If your floor is not carpeted, turn out the lights and shine a light along the floor. Supposedly the lost spring will cast a shadow on the wall. I've never tried this, but it sounds like it might be worth a try next time.

Reply to
Robert Skipper

...or tape a bit of pantyhose or fine netting over the opening of a vacuum cleaner hose and suck it up.

Sten

Reply to
Sten

Well maybe not on the wall. (depends on the size spring though), but it will indeed cast a more visible shadow on the floor which is larger than the lost item it self. (if it casts a shadow on the wall, the darn thing landed very close to the wall or it is so large that it could have been found without the aid of the light ;o) )

Dennis

Reply to
Bert&Ernie

Hey thanks for all the tips guys!

Sorry for the late response but my news server has been unreliable to say the least.

Reply to
Tone