Reply to
WmB

Alone?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

asshole.

Reply to
someone

Too young for that one. But I was in music class in 5th grade when Reagan got shot. Our teacher did a class prayer for the Gipper.

I always seem to miss the big events live. I was walking back from gym class to my biology class back in 1986 when the shuttle challenger blew up at launch. Of course they were playing the launch live over in the library on t.v. but I missed it. ( really didn't matter because the showed the replay on t.v. about a billion times later that night ).

When Janet Jackson showed her nipple at the Super-bowl a few years back I was right in front of a huge big screen t.v. I was reaching for some chips and dip and missed it. Everyone else was like " eeeewwwww did you see that ? "

Tee he

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

I was down in the storm sewer with Ann-Margret. Elvis was in the book depository:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I was five at the thime, but I do rmember watching the news and hearing about it from adults. Oddly, one thing I vividly remember is the funeral procession and the flag draped caisson, and I remember being solidly touched by it all.

Reply to
Grinch

I was about 3 months old - so probably would not have any memories. But that begs a question: What is the youngest age from which one *can* or *does* have memories? One may seem to remember events from when they were

2 years old, for example, but are these real memories, or just "fake" ones influenced by old photos, anecdotes, etc.?
Reply to
Greg Heilers

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:56ab97f3-a818-42cb-b1cc-a8b62a801a12 @l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

In school. I remember only fragments, but do recall not understanding a lot of what was going on. Then again, most of the teachers were so upset that we in the 1st grade were not told much, exceept that our parents would be picking us up early.

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

I was just getting out of my college freshman English class when I noticed a commotion among the people outside the building, and found out from them that Kennedy had been shot. I went to my next class (Biology), but the professor, visibly moved, dismissed us immediately. I went home and watched Cronkite on TV for the rest of the day.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

CCBlack wrote: :> bote wrote: :> Where were you on November 22, 1963? :> GREAT DETAIL HERE ! :>

: Too young for that one. But I was in music class in 5th grade when : Reagan got shot. Our teacher did a class prayer for the Gipper. : I was either in class or playing hookie. The best part to that one was ol Casper proclaiming "I'm in charge!". Ummm, no. You are not.

Elvis choose to kick off while I was at a summer football camp. Not being a fan of "the king", I was unimpressed. Others at the camp thought it was the end of the world.

Lennon was killed while I was preparing for some sort of finals, I am sure. Did not kike him, either. Nor, generally, for the Beatles. : : I always seem to miss the big events live. I was walking back from : gym class to my biology class back in 1986 when the shuttle challenger : blew up at launch. : I walked out of the engineering building, looked north and said "oh, shit". A co-worker had a tiny "portable" TV, which was my first tip off.

Colombia was in the process of breaking up overhead - a friend was shooting it as it went over.

And, I might as well confess to being in the Atlanta area when the bomb was found during the olympics. Officially, I was on my way to Va. Beach for the IMPS/US Nationals...

As for Kennedy, I was probably looking for dinner...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Kennedy - Was in class when announcement came over the intercom.

Neil Armstrong Moonwalk - Was at the NCO Club at Ft. McClellan in a raging thunderstorm. Just as he stepped from the ladder, lightning struck the antenna and the TV blew. We couldn't believe our bad luck.

Desert One Fiasco - Was driving to my office when it was announced.

9/11 - Was pulling out of my garage when the first "Lear jet" hit. Decided to go back into the house to see what was going on. Saw the second "Lear jet" hit and realized the CNN announcer didn't know the difference between Norman Lear and a Lear jet. The same guy later breathlessly described US soldiers "armed with AK-47's" running around the Pentagon.

Reply to
Art Murray

'Cept for a couple of leprachauns, Klaatu and Jim Garrison - yeah pretty much.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Truth be told I was still 61 days out from breathing air for the first time on planet earth the day convertible presidential limousines were rendered obsolete.

As for earliest memories, I have clear and distinct memories that I have been able to nail down with certainty as being late 1967-68 when I was 3

1/2 - 4 yrs old.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

High school junior. I was a stringer for the county radio station and newspaper, so I went to the pay phone (remember those?) to call in the reactions by students and teachers.

Didn't realize that I was a little shocked until I found myself asking one of the dozen or so people waiting for the phone "Is the phone in use?".

I think that is currently considered a DOH!!!

On the day of the funeral we had football practice, but the coach set up the TV and rabbit ears (remember those!!!?). Didn't know until John John saluted his father's casket that a whole team of football players could cry that hard.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

That wasn't Caspar Weinberger - that was Al Haig "in charge here at the White House" right after Reagan was shot.

I was in 7th grade in class when Kennedy was shot. I'll never forget the announcement coming over the loudspeaker that he had been shot, and not long after that the news that he was dead.

The following days were somber indeed. It was the first time I remember being riveted to the TV watching major news unfold - including the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald as it happened live on camera.

The funeral procession and the burial at Arlington along with the pucture of Johnson taking the oath of office with a blood stained Jackie looking on are etched in memory.

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

Strange the things I remember from when I was a kid. I was in the back seat of my friends Ford El Torino, driving past country farms on the way back to Vance AFB in Enid, Oklahoma. My friends mom who was driving had the radio news on and they annonced that Elvis had kicked the bucket and she sighed .... ahhhhh.

I was snoozing away at a truck stop in the pan-handle of Texas while all that went on. Once again missing the whole thing.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

I was a freshman at the U of Iowa. Classes were dismissed, and the game with Notre Dame was called off for that Saturday. Watched Cronkite for about three days straight, and saw Oswald get shot on live TV. That was a surprise!

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

I was in 5th grade and can remember that announcement very clearly, a terrible shock. I too was glued to the TV set and saw the funeral as well as Oswald being shot. Very dark days......

Jim

Reply to
James R. Jones

I was gonna say Jr. High but everybody else seems to have been somewhere more interesting.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

And some days I have trouble reconciling the fact that there are adults out there who weren't alive on that day.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller