Whether to brush-paint or airbrush?

Ron: How big is your workshop? If it is large enough, you could make a partition and have a small, dust free mini-room to do the spraying in. You'd still need small spray booth inside it to ensure that the vapours are taken away properly, plus some sort of adequate ventilation for yourself in the room, but this could also let you store your compressor and fittings in one place and you know how much hassle that saves! I had a mate in Canberra who was a mad keen photographer (back in the old days when b&w photography and home developing was all the go) and book binder, his SWMBO gave him complete rule over the shed but put a red line at the house door for his hobbies. He built a mini darkroom in the shed, partitioning it from his book binding gear, and lived happily ever after. It was about the size of a small broom closet (the darkroom) in a shed big enough for 2 cars side by side. Just my tuppence worth Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

You seem quite, uhm, literate with woodworking. You much effort/time would you need to build a decent spray booth and a drying cabinet ?

BTW, acrylics used in quantities we use in modeling are probably safer than crossing the street...

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Andrew,

Nice thought. However, my workshop is even smaller than your mate's - and I still need to find room for an air filter (eventually) and a microwave oven (for rapid seasoning of small bits of timber). A nice spraying/drying room would be great for my woodturnings but I'm afraid I've already expanded to fill the space available!

Ron

unfortunately

Reply to
Ron Headon

That's something I never would have thought of (I'm not being sarcastic - I really wouldn't). Maybe I ought to investigate that one a bit further.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Headon

Don,

I've heard about the guys who possess these "rare skills" - one seems to hear about 'em every so often. What I wouldn't give to learn their secret . . .

transitions,

Reply to
Ron Headon

Serge,

You're absolutely right about building a homebrew spray booth - and I think that's probably what I'll end up doing. I keep thinking "How hard can it be?" and yet you see seriously expensive shop-bought ones. All I need is a correctly sized fan and some offcuts of timber - surely it really can't be that difficult.

And your comment about the safety of spraying acrylics is useful. Thanks for your response.

Kind regards

Ron

Reply to
Ron Headon

I published an article in a model ship magazine, Ships in Scale, about building a homemade booth. This one had a light, fan, and used a furnace filter for cheap replacement. It was in the Jan/Feb 2004 issue.

Reply to
Don Stauffer