Aligning Balloons and Text

This seems like a straight-forward thing... so flame me if the solution is obvious: In the past week or so I've often wanted to align text and balloon numbers... so that a 'label' sits right beside the balloon number. It seems like the order that SW06 (SP3.4) likes to do this in is always backwards from what I want though! For example, I want to align horizontally the word 'bee' with the balloon that says '3', where I want the '3' to stay where it is, and I want 'bee' to drop down beside it. I select the 'bee' first and then '3' and then hit the align horiz button and it moves '3' up to 'bee'. Selecting in '3' first, and then 'bee' also moves '3' up to 'bee'. Ugh. To make it even funnier... I noticed that 'align horizontal' and 'align bottom' act differently with regards to the order of selection... hehe... is there a rhyme or reason to the way SW chooses which to align to what? Thanks, scott

Reply to
tritonlogging

Ok, here's the way I think it works.

Align top/bottom/right/left, the one to move is the one that has to move in the direction selected. So if A is already higher on the page than B, then if you ask them to align Top, then B will move up. If you ask them to align Bottom, then A will move down. The one to move is the one that isn't already there. Make sense?

Align Vertical, the one to move is the one that is lower on the page. So if A is already higher on the page than B, then if you ask them to align Vertical, then B will move over.

Align Horizontal, the one to move is the one that is farther to the right on the page. So if A is already farther right on the page than B, then if you ask them to align Horizontal, then A will move.

So, a quiz....if you align Horizontal so they are at the exact same height on the page, and then immediately align the same entities Vertical, who moves? The one that is supposed to move for a Vertical is the one that is lower on he page and they are exactly the same? Answer - the one farther to the right.

It doesn't matter if the selected entity is a note or a balloon - a balloon is actually a special note.

Now, all that being said, what I maybe should have written is which one doesn't move. You might think this doesn't matter, but how about when you select more than 2 entities? Reverse all the above and make the opposite one stay put, so rather than saying that the farther RH one moves, say that the farther LH one doesn't move.

Hey, you asked. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Oh, I forgot HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID THAT YOU COULDN'T FIGURE THIS ONE OUT!!!!!

Sorry, I forgot the flame part - feel better now? :-) :-)

(I also forgot to actually state that the pick order doesn't make any difference.)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Sigh.... (while shaking my head) Thanks for going easy Wayne... I probably deserved a lot more than that.

-s

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
tritonlogging