API_SDK

I see this is available to install. My question is this - do I want to? From what I have found to read it's the SolidWorks Developer Kit, or something like that, but I haven't found anything that tells me what it actually will do for me after I install it. I currently use the programming environment inside SW & also VB6. Suggestions, comments?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Will Astill

Really, the only thing the SDK gets you is the ability to create add-ins from within VS/VS.NET. You can create external applications (DLL and EXE) that run SW without it. I agree with Will - if you haven't used it to date and don't create add-ins, you don't need it.

Evan

Reply to
Evan T. Basalik

If you are working with VB6 and want to make addins, I think it's worth the effort to create your own template. This will help you learn. Naturally, you will want to look at other templates, first.

I have a project available that may help:

MakeAddinFromExeVB.zip

It's a work in progress, not officially published. However, it does include a well-annotated class module that shows how to add ad-in functionality, including menus and toolbars.

Reply to
That70sTick

Got it - I'll take a look when I get a chance. Thanks.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany