Apparently Unnecessary Rebuilds of Drawings

When drawings are first opened and are shown "lightweight" it takes very little time to switch from one sheet to another or from one drawing to another.

As components are resolved, the need for rebuilding arises. This is understandable; however, I think the rebuilding suffers from notable performance problems:

  1. For example, a rebuild takes place on sheet 1, then another rebuild occurs when the user switches to sheet 2. This makes sense, but WHY is a rebuild needed when the user immediately swithches back to sheet 1 after having made NO changes (or after having ONLY modified annotations)?

  1. Not being able to stop a rebuild is a major performance nuisance. If the user wants to abort a rebuild (just as with a part or assembly) WHY can't the ESCape key be used?

  2. When drawings are being closed and the user opts NOT to save, WHY is rebuilding initiated during the closure of the file? (Sometimes this action prompts me to simply kill SolidWorks via the Task Manager rather than wait for the apparently useless rebuilds!

If such symptoms bother you as well, then please let your VAR and SolidWorks know (via Enhancement Requests, etc.)

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

Per,

I don't get it either, except the programmer who wrote it in?? Makes one go... hmm??????$$$$$$$$????????$$$$$$$?????????$$$$$$$????????

BTW, this is very common with models with configurations, which are already resolved. There is something triggering or requesting that the model or drawing resolve and there is no reason for it.

SW Corp, where job security is job #1. (a$$ a$$ual f$$ here!?)

.. ;^)

"Per O. Hoel" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I'm not sure if this is related to your issue, but at least I'll be able to get it off my chest. In multi-sheet drawings of large asemblies I often get the following annoying message when I try to save: views on other sheets need up-dating, these views must be re-built or they will be empty ; press OK to rebuild these views." (or something like that.)

This often happens even if I have gone through every sheet and rebuilt each one. On large files this can take a lot of time. Another really annoying aspect of this is that it happens even when I want to save as dwg or anything else. If one is saving dwg files of a large multi-sheet drawing the time really adds up.

Finally, once I start seeing this message, I will see it EVERY time I save. It just stays premanently.

There, doesn't probably help you at all, but at least I feel better...........

Thanks,

jk

Reply to
jk