ATI FireGL V3100 + (2) SLI Ports

Maybe this is a silly question; I'm building a CAD System (it is a buget system) so I'm limited the money I can spend. I ordered a
EPoX EP-9U1697GLI Socket 939 ULi M1697 ATX AMD Motherboard with GLI Support I ordered an ATI FireGL V3100.
I was wondering if I was to order a 2nd ATI FireGL V3100 could I use or would the board utilize the second card for rendering? TIA
I normally build Gaming systems, but I'm a draftsman and while I know enough about Gaming cards I know little about mutli Card Workstations. I want squeeze the most out of my dolar and can wiat for the ATI FireGL V3100 drop lower in price before I order a 2nd card if its determined It can be used. TIA
SolidWorks does not benefit from SLI. It can even be a bit slower. (Plus, SLI is for nVidia cards, not ATI)
The v3100 is an older card and a bit of a dog. A v3300 would be noticeably faster and still cheap - ~$180 in OEM packaging. The v3400 is better yet for $250.
iQ here and i just went through a round of testing on new Dell platforms (precision 690). one with a dual nVidia SLI video setup and the other is with a single of same video card. of note: i did not know about the SLI until my manager asked me to investigate for our next workstation setup.
my results are that the dual video card with SLI technology enabled was about 1-2% faster on average in SWx 2006. in SWx 2007 the dual video card is actually 8% on average slower. i have only done my testing in WinXP 64 and intend to complete testing in WinXP Pro (X32) in the next few days. i will post numbers if my manager now allows me to complete testing now that he knows about the omission of SLI support in SWx.
Even though it states that it will go faster, that means you will have to do that much more testing to validate that it really can.
of note here is the word from SWx on SLI technology and SolidWorks.
from the solidworks knowledgebase (accessible through the customer portal)
Solution Id: S-07828 Category: SR Originated
Question: Does SolidWorks support use of PCI Express graphics cards in SLI mode? Keyword: Video card
Link:
Answer: SLI is a technology from NVIDIA which allows one to use multiple graphics adapters ganged together to increase rendering performance. ATI has a similar technology called Crossfire for their gaming cards. Currently, SolidWorks does not support use of multiple PCI Express graphics cards in SLI mode and neither does NVIDIA for the Quadro cards / drivers they and we certify for SolidWorks. In other words, although some of the NVIDIA Quadro FX cards support SLI this is not enabled in the driver application settings for most applications, including SolidWorks. Therefore, there would be no performance benefit to deploying this configuration in a machine used primarily for SolidWorks.
Solution Id: S-04230 Category: SR Originated
Question: Does Solidworks support nVidia "SLI" operation? Keyword: Video card
Link:
Answer: This is not supported at this time.
iQ
jimsym wrote:

Can anyone speak up (especially a SWx person, Mike B?) on the future on SLI technology in the future of SolidWorks. according to the numbers that i have on the video through put it could enhance our display refresh times. iQ