Autocad lets you fillet zero does Solidworks have similar?

Seems like there is no way to get a square corner between two sketch lines in Solidworks like you can in Autocad with the "fillet zero" command. Anybody know how to do that?

Reply to
J & J

How is "fillet zero" different from simply making a square corner with two sketch lines? If I understand your question, no fillet is required to achieve the desired result. Using the "Extend Entities" and "Trim Entities" tools may be helpful in creating the desired square corners.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

When you need a square corner between two sketch entities, the sketch extend is about the cleanest option. But compared to acad's fillet 0, it is a little like driving a nail with a screwdriver.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

You can also Merge points. Remember unlike ACAD when you extend and trim lines you can click-hold and drag the line to the line you desire to extend to even if they don't extend across it.

-------- is about the cleanest option. But compared to acad's fillet 0, it is a

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Yep, I'm aware. But merging sometimes shifts the sketch lines, unless they're full constrained or fixed and the dragging function is a lot more work than simply picking a command and two lines. This is a simple thing that Solidworks doesn't see as being necessary. I'm surprised that I haven't run across some VB app to add sketch functionality like this. Sketching and drawing productivity have always taken a back seat to just about any 2-d drafting package out there. And that's too bad because it doesn't have to.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Everyone probably is already aware of this but I thought I would through it out there just in case. Say you have two sketched lines that have a fillet connecting them. You can go to trim and select the fillet and it will disappear. While still in the trim tool left click on one of the lines and drag your courser to the other. You will see the line extend to the virtual corner. Do the same with the other and you have your sharp corner. Once you get used to it, it works pretty quick. Not as quick as changing the fillet to zero though.

message

Reply to
SWuser

Reply to
J & J

Try this link, it has been discussed before:

Bill Coleman

Try this link:

Bill Coleman

Thanks Bill. That thread cleared things up pretty well. I guess for me, who does "0 fillets" the extend or trim way, still "feels" like the fillet-0 in acad was more intuitive. I had a macro setup in acad so I could start a "fillet 0" then click on two entities, hit the spacebar with my left thumb to start it again and click two more entities, etc. etc. So it was left thumb - click click, left thumb click-click, left thumb click click. You just can't get into that type of sketch rhythm by clicking and dragging.

The methods outlined here and in previous threads have taken this as far as it can go.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

From what I remeber of steps in Autocad

Going back a year or two, when we had this discussion on this NG, I was educated in the methods for achiev=ing a zero Rad in SWX. If you want to count the steps (clicks) required for creating an intersect for to lines, the trim/extend method in SolidWorks actually used to be less than AutoCad. However, I have not seen the latest methods used in AutoCad. Also, you can use the Extend or Trim button to do the drag to line job in SWX.

If you want to read a little more Everyone probably is already aware of this but I thought I would through it out there just in case. Say you have two sketched lines that have a fillet connecting them. You can go to trim and select the fillet and it will disappear. While still in the trim tool left click on one of the lines and drag your courser to the other. You will see the line extend to the virtual corner. Do the same with the other and you have your sharp corner. Once you get used to it, it works pretty quick. Not as quick as changing the fillet to zero though.

- Eddy

Reply to
Tony

A macro could be written, I don't think it would be that difficult. I may take it up as a project. Althouth I think the click drag method is adequate you don't have to be as accurate with your mouse on the second location. Though I don't use complicated sketches too often.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Well I guess it has already been done follow bills link and up at the top there it is.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Usually I just ctrl-select both of the endpoints and hit the 'merge' constraint.

Reply to
TheTick