Beta Testers should get a discount!!

Yeah........"Asshole" is so much better than "raghead".

Reply to
SWuser

"Can't we all just get along?"

-Rodney King

Reply to
Michael

Great.

So now this prick is defending the racist asshole.

Fuck off then.

-nick e.

HOW THE FUCK IS HE NOT AN ASSHOLE?!?!?!?!

SWuser wrote:

Reply to
Nick E.

Take a look in the mirror and ask yourself the same question.

By the way I am not defending anyone. I do not agree with his remarks anymore than I agree with your immature profanity.

ASSHOLE?!?!?!?!

Reply to
SWuser

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:13:32 GMT, Paul Salvador wrote:

Well said Paul !

I have just been scanning through this thread when I came accross '1' 's comments and his link to the article which he uses to justify his thoughts.

Well - '1' - If you have formed your opinion based on this article read on. If you are just using this article to re-inforce your ignorance then don't bother reading on as I doubt that what ever anyone says will open up your mind.

The linked article seems a long winded report that can be summarised:-

"Man in foreign country steels software from US company.

Man caught trying to sell this software after co-operation between FBI and foreign countries' law enforment agencies."

Where is the story there? other than the minor interest to people in the CAD industry who would know what Solidworks is. Are there no thieves in the USA, that this attempted theft is such a shocking thing and should be used to damn a whole counrty.

The actual article is really an attempt by the reporter to try and build up some sort of case against outsourcing of software development to places outside the USA. In choosing to highlight an attempted theft in India, the report does not choose a very good example of a country in which it is dangerous to do business.

India is the world largest democracy and has been ever since independance, just like the USA. It has never had an attempted coup by its military, just like the USA. When its Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, in 1976 declared a State of Emergancy and tried to suppend certain rights, the Indian people voted her out of power at the next election. American have similarly in the past shown little patience with their Presidents who act illegally.

As I have said - India is a fully functioning mature democracy with all the same problems that Western Democracies have:-

Corruption in politics where money buys votes. Slow and expensive legal system where justice is not easily available to the poorest, but easily availabel to wealthy companies and individuals.

India has a fully functioning court system and the full raft of IP laws taken straight out of British statues. Why the suprise that they are not exactly the same as the USA laws. In pure head-count terms there are more Indian citizens than US citizens so shouldn't their laws prevale, especially in their own country.

India is 1 of 2 of the world's hyper-population centre's and the worl d will have to get used to India throwing is weight around a bit more as it develops.

So '1' , in conclusion, I would suggest you take a crash course on where India is, its history and current political outlooks.

Just a word of advice if you do bother to do a bit of self education, do not get side lined by articles that mention "India & Pakistan" in the same breath. The two countries have many similarities and mixtures of ethinic backgrounds, especially in North India. But in terms of economic and social freedoms India is a colossus next to Pakistan.

It is conveniant for western journalists to link these two countries as if they are inseperable twins. For an American it is similar to always hearing your country being refered to as " USA & Mexico" in newspaper articles. When plainly this would miss most of the differences between the USA & Mexico.

In a time when Americans might be feeling uncertain about how they are perceived as people, I can assure you that Indians have no animosity to American citizens, but they do feel aggreived that the USA government seems to always lump India in with all other countries in the Middle East and they are slowly getting fed up with being taken for granted and treated in the same equal fashion as Pakistan. Perhaps it is India's political closeness to the Soviet Union and now Russia. But this only came about because after India was invaded by the Chinese in the mid 60's , only the Soviet Union came to India's aid and would supply arms to India to replace its aging British equipment. In 1975 , after US lobbying, the People's Republic of China was given the permanent China seat on the UN security council and so it was now in a position to veto any Indian concern about Chinese aggression in Tibet and it northern border. It became imperative for India to develope the nuclear bomb as a deterant against the Chinese bomb. It is a common mistake in the West to think that the Indian bomb was developed to counter Pakistan, which is absurd when the two are so dissimilar in the size of their conventional armed forces. The Indian nuclear bomb was developed as a defence against China and it still is a vital defence against China. But since then China has outflanked India again by giving the bomb to Pakistan, who of course has now passed it on to other oppressive regimes in the area.

Apologies to the rest of this group for a digression away fron Cad into politics, but I heard good news the other day. The Indian Government is now allowing people abroad, of Indian descent, to take up Indian citizenship and I will be applying for my passport in due course so I think it is important to get across to the rest of the world common misconceptions about India. Indians in the past have often just kept their heads down and got on with life without complaint. But then again, most are Hindus (although I am not, nor my Indian relatives) and they can afford to be patient as they will be coming back for another go at life, when they finish their current incarnation.

As a final uplifting thought - When it comes to outsourcing, do not forget India has a great tradition of bureaucracy and litigation, (uncles of mine in the distant past have sued each other over buckets of water!) and like the the USA, India shares aspects of English Common Law and Legal Statues at the heart of its legal system. The US should look to outsourcing lawyers to India ;-) !! You will certainly get a cheaper job done and can harass any opponent in the US courts with legal writs for years to come without much expense, if you employ an Indian lawyer.

I have just realised I used the phrase 'long winded' at the beginning of this long winded rant, so I'd best stop.....

Regards

Jonathan Stedman

Reply to
jjs

nick not wishing to be a spoil sport but you both have had a go about this its probably good to move on now eh? sort OT now... cheers guys

Reply to
neil

Thanks for putting this all into perspective, Jonathan!!

.. 8^)

jjs wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

oh. i am done now.

nick 'why anyone would jump to the defense of someone calling people ragheads is beyond me' e.

Reply to
Nick E.