Borrowing licenses

I have a question regarding the use of floating licenses on a network USB dongle and borrowing. For us borrowing licenses to other machines is a fital issue. According to our VAR borrowing could be done for an unlimited time frame. So if one of our employees need a license for 3 months this should be possible. So we handed in our serial dongles for one USB network dongle. And guess what we can only borrow for 30 days. And thats not the only issue. When we borrow a license to one of our notebooks and the user logs in to another domain the licenses are not available. Can anyone please clarify some issues regarding the above because our VAR does not know the in's and out's regarding borrowing.

Reply to
swinma

You can only limit borrowing within the set max. The absolute max limit is set by the license file and is currently 30 days. (In 2005 it was only 10) You can then limit it to less than 30 days by entering a line similar to the line below

MAX_BORROW_HOURS solidworks 48

that would limit it to 2 days. I suppose it may be possible to ask your VAR to request a license file that would allow a longer time but it is possible that SolidWorks decided that 30 days would be the hard fast max for some reason in which case you are going to have to live with 30 days and submit an enhancement request to extend it further.

As far as loos> I have a question regarding the use of floating licenses on a network

Reply to
CS

I would say that the 30 day limitation is probably not going to change without a lot of wrangling since it seems to be programmed into the software. But the fact that you can't login when on a different domain when you are entitled to is an issue worth pursuing. It should have been obvious to SW that the act of borrowing a floating license to a mobile computing system (aka laptop) implies the possibility of being logged in on other domains, whether it be Starbucks or a customer site. And I thought the license was tied to the NIC, not the user anyway.

sw> I have a question regarding the use of floating licenses on a network

Reply to
TOP

Thank you for you're replies.

We also came across someth> I would say that the 30 day limitation is probably not going to change

Reply to
swinma

I think SW license states that you have to unload previous versions of software to use newer versions. I can see a 2005 license not working on

2006 for obvious reasons, but vice versa is another thing. Must upgrade, must upgrade.

Tot ziens.

sw> Thank you for you're replies.

Reply to
TOP

I just had a look in our SNL license file, and there is a line that says;

"BORROW=720"

which equates to 30 days (30*24 hours = 720 hours)

As it's in the license file, I would think that only SW could change that.

In the FlexLM user manual, there is reference to an options file card called MAX_BORROW_HOURS, but this can only be set up to the maximum period defined in the license file - in this case 30 days. I can't see any other options that would extend the borrow period either.

Enhacement request perhaps?

Martin

Reply to
wurz

Doh, just looked back as saw Corey's post which pretty much says what I just posted......

Must be Friday......:-)

Reply to
wurz