Can I insert a part and then dissolve the refs?

I'd like to be able to insert an existing part into another part, without it keeping any external references, but with all it's feature information intact. If there are any I-deas users out there, then I'm looking to be able to do the equivalent of "part components".

If I use "insert part", list the external refs and break them all, it leaves me with a single dumb feature which I can't edit. Is there another way of achieving this?

Regards, John H.

Reply to
John

There is no way to get what you are asking for. Regardless of what you do, there is no way to insert a part into another part and bring sketch and feature information, only solids, planes, surfaces, axes, cosmetic threads.

The way around it is to save the part as a copy and insert the copy into the other part. You still have an external link, but it is not linked to the original part.

Or of course you could use an assembly.

Reply to
matt

"John" a écrit dans le message de news: PZHnf.6449$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...

Start the new part from the old part, renaming it. Put the "old" features in a folder.

HIH JM

Reply to
Jean Marc

Perhaps try inserting the part as a library feature?

Reply to
That70sTick