Converting An Iges To A Solidworks Model - Some Advice Please

Hi,

I've got an I-DEAS IGES model that I need to convert to a Solidwoks model/re-model in Solidworks. What's the best way of doing this?

Just stitch the IGES surfaces together and remodel the part using these as a guide? The model needs to be modified slightly so I don't really want to end up with a load of non editable surfaces.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Reply to
will

Well, depends on how complex the part is.. if its not too bad, I would just import it, get the dims you need to recreate it, and just start from scratch.. Most of the time thats the quickest way. I've tried to work from imported solids/surfaces, and always end up starting over.. Too many headaches for me..

Now iirc, if you have more than standard SW, it comes with something called 'featureworks' but I have no idea what/if that would help..

Reply to
tnik

Its complex - its a complex surface model.

Reply to
will

Hi Will,

as far as I remember, IDEAS also uses the Parasolid Kernel so Parasolid would be best choise for data exchange.

success

Jo

"will" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@a12g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jo Zi

Even if it is a complex surface model, I would at least attempt modifying the existing dump solid using the replace face command.

If that doesn't work, to recreate that complex surface model, I would bring it in as a dump solid and take screen shots from every view and re-create exactly how we have all seen users make car bodies from photos. And to get exact measurements I would use the dumb solid.

Reply to
KMaren