Copy a part

I found a new tidbit just a bit ago that might be a handy thing.

In an assy, it's quite common to have some parts in there, and then desire to have another instance of something that's already in there. No problem, just hold the Ctrl key, and drag and drop into the graphics area. It will then add the new copy of the part at the bottom of the FT and you do whatever you want with it. Nothing new there.

What I just found was that you can Ctrl drag and drop in the FT, as in grab the part that you want to copy that might be half way up the tree, and you want the new instance of the part to be right under the existing one, then just drop it there. The new instance will then be in the proper place in the tree and then you go to the graphics area and move/mate, etc.

So the question then is whether it be better to place in the graphics area and move in the FT, or place in the FT and move in the graphics area. Only you can decide, but at least now you know you have an option.

Ok, Muggs/Ed, here's your chance. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Well, I can't speak for Ed, but I appalled that someone of Wayne's stature in the SolidWorks community would not know something as elementary as dragging and dropping within the Feature Manager.

Just kidding of course (before someone flames me). I know that I have done this before, but there's SO MUCH that I don't know (just ask Wayne) that I'm never sure if it's "always been that way" or I've discovered something new.

Muggs

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

It's not the fact that you can drag and drop in the tree, the point is that you can drag and drop AND create a copy of the part at the same time. My mindset has always been to drop the new copy of the part where I want it in the graphics area so I don't have to "go find it" to put it where it belongs. But then after that, I have to drag and drop it in the FT where I want it. Now I realize I have a choice. (Nice you noticed the bait here.) :-))

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Somewhat along the same lines - how do you move a part in the feature tree to a point just below an assembly? I can't get around the function where the sysmbol to add to the assembly appears. The same happens when trying to move an assembly just below another assembly. The purpose of my move is just to keep things in order

I'm probably missing something really basic. SW2006

Gary

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Gary K

A well hidden sleight of hand - hold the alt key.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Didn't know that about dropping it onto the feature tree, in the past I'd always just reorder it after copying.

Now if you had posted this post in the new SolidWorks forum, I'd would never know because I'd have never found the post.

John Layne

John Layne

You know, there's something to the fact of being here in the wild, wild west. Sometimes dangerous, but learn how to protect yourself, wear a thick skin and hunt for the gold nuggets. I think I'll stick around here.

WT

"John Layne" never know because I'd have never found the post.

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thanks! I had a feeling it was simple. Glad to hear you're staying with this forum.

Gary

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Gary K

Actually, I should have explained "dangerous" - one danger is that sometimes you even get mugged..........

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Here's an update that points out a practical difference here. If you highlight more than one part and try to drag and drop into the graphics area, all you get is the part that you actually pulled on. If you do the same thing in the FT, you get a copy of all the highlighted parts.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Not here in SW2006 SP5.1 or in SW2007 SP2.0!?!

Muggs

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Sorry! disregard. I misread your post. You are correct.

Muggs

Muggs wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Dang, almost got mugged, but then he saw the light from above. :-))))))

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Danged good hints & tips. This forum is the best.

There is just not enough time to study & explore everything. Work calls.

Bo

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Bo