Distortion

I have a dumb solid model of a complex casting. Is there any way I can show the model in a distorted state? Like - show one of the cylindrical bores compressed in to an eliptical bore. Can the animation package help with this?

Reply to
pmwh

I've had some acceptable results using non-uniform scaling bodies. You can scale a body w/ different scale factors for X, Y, Z drections.

Reply to
That70sTick

I did find a deform tool under Insert Features. It is a little complicated but I finally created a feature that deformed the part. Slows my machine down also. The complexity of the casting doesn't help either. It will take some work but this should do the job.

Now I have to tweak it in and see if I can animate the distortion process........

Reply to
pmwh

Non-uniform scaling may work best - maybe easiest. I had doen this with a JPEG of the part. The marketing people couldn't use that version and wanted something more 3D. I am also experimenting with the Flex command in SolidWorks. Similar to the deform tool, but again a lot of options to reive and it is a very slow process to experiment with.

Reply to
pmwh

Can you delete face with the patch option and then redo the bore with an ellipse? Perhaps you can copy the faces of the bores to be distorted and then flex or deform just the bore surface data. Then cut solid with the distorted surface.

Reply to
parel

Ahoy Peebody,

Ye might try usin configs and the screen capture tooly t' do what ye wants...

Arrrrrrrrr

Reply to
cadPIRATE