Editing of Existing Explode Step(s)

I'm working in SolidWorks 2006, SP4.1 (although this is not a new issue) and must be missing something when it comes to adding a part to
an existing explode step in an assembly view.
I know the process is to select the explode feature for editing and then to edit the particular step; however, while it is easy to DELETE a component, the means of selecting another one to ADD to the step is another story.
I've assumed that once another part has been cursor picked from within the view (or from the Feature Manager) and the change "applied" to the feature that the newly picked component would move into position to align with the others in the original definition, but it just doesn't work.
Please point the way...
Thanks,
Per O. Hoel
Are you right clicking on the step, then selecting "edit step", then selecting the component, then pushing "apply"?
POH wrote:

I found an easier way than right clicking "Edit Step" in the tree. Left click (highlight) the step you want to add parts to, then click the Explode toolbar button. It puts you directly into editing that step. Click the part to add, then click Apply. Bingo.
Brian

Brian,
Thanks for your reply!
The key it turns out is to actually scroll down the property manager column to find the "Apply" button in order to execute the edit. (I had been just cursor clicking the "check mark" (OK) button at the top of the PM and assuming that this would carry out the edit. Unfortunately, in the case of an edit to an explode step this does NOT work.)
In future I'll be pushing "apply" for sure...