exploding view question

I have an assembly that not oriented on any of the standard planes. So when I drag components for an explode step they are not inline with the mating feature on the fixed part. The help refers to dragging the manipulator to a face or edge and it will align one of the axis of the manipulator to the face or axis. But I can't seem to get it to do anything no matter where I drag it. Any help out there?

TIA Jeff

Reply to
cox.geoff

Well I'm answering my own post. Thanks to Matt's book (page 455) I just learned that you have to hold down the ALT key while dragging the triad (manipulator). SolidWorks left that very important caveat out of the help file!!

Thanks Matt for the excellent book,\

Reply to
WormSign

orientation is of no concern as long as there is a flat surface that can be utilized. forget about dragging manipulator. in explode direction box, "select" a face on the exploded "component itself" or of "another component". this will re-orient the triad automagically. alt key not needed.

works quite well.

Reply to
kenneth

Noted. But the help file makes no mention of this either. It does mention draging the triad. BTW the ALT key works quiet well also.

Reply to
WormSign