Flexlm

We are sharing 4 seats of Solidworks between 7 users. Is this setup possible:

2 Groups Group 1 Reserve 2 seats no timeout Group 2 float 2 seats timeout after 20 minutes

I looked at the install guide but it didn't seem very clear on the Timout function.

Thanks, Derek

Reply to
DT

You have to make a file with teh same name as your license file, the license file has a name decided by your VAR, like VARname.lic so you make a file called VARname.opt

Also you need to check your .lic file for the name of the different licenses. I have the following named licenses, which may be different in yours: solidworks dwgeditor swoffice swofficepremium

So you need to make your file VARname.opt so that it will return the licenses after 20 min (1200 sec) and adding some text to help you remember what you have done later is always a good idea.

I would make the text in the file like this

# FILE FOR CONTROLLING LICENSE USAGE

# GROUP SETUP GROUP ONE USER1 USER2 GROUP TWO USER3 USER4 USER5 USER6 USER7

# LICENSE TIMEOUT AFTER 20 MIN TIMEOUTALL 1200

# USER GROUP TWO - MAX 2 LICENSES MAX solidworks 2 GROUP TWO

I know this will timeout all the licenses, but since group 2 cant pull more than 2 licenses there will always be 2 for group one so it aint a problem. I dont have the manuel with me atm.. but if you need the timeout removed I can find it and look it up for you.

Also you need to be aware that when you put your users into groups, FlexLM is case sensitive and windows login aint by default, so if you have a user named Peter and you put him in group 1, you have to add him with all the possible names he could login with into windows: peter, Peter, PETER etc.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Ronni

Ronni,

Thanks for the response. I'll forward this on to our IT dept. I was hoping we could only timeout group 2.

Derek

Reply to
DT

TIMEOUT feature seconds TIMEOUTALL seconds

So its based on the feature (in this case the name of the licensetype), or all features.

But as I mentioned it makes no difference if the licenses are timed out, there will always be 2 licenses free, with the above setup where group two can pull 2 licenses max.

You can use reserve the other way around also.. it will work the same way with your 4 licences, but if you buy more licenses this is the better choice:

# USER GROUP ONE - RESERVE 2 Licenses RESERVE solidworks 2 GROUP ONE

Reply to
Ronni