Fustration

Could the frustration with Solidworks since approx V2001 not be traced back to when it was purchased by Dassault? Don't remember date of acquisition but there could be a link of satisfying shareholders instead of users. Hm........

Reply to
Wilbert

I dug this is up... a release from '97

- - - - - "CONCORD, Mass., June 24 (Reuter) - Dassault Systemes SA and SolidWorks said on Tuesday they entered an agreement for Dassault to acquire SolidWorks for

4.85 million Dassault shares, in a deal valued at $310 million.

SolidWorks develops and markets 3D mechanical design solutions for the Windows platform and is expected to have annualized revenues of $25 million based on results expected for the quarter ending June 30, 1997, the companies said in a joint statement. Dassault Systemes expects the deal to be "less than five percent dilutive to earnings in the second half of 1997, and to be non-dilutive in 1998."

The deal is expected to be "a significant contributor to earnings growth thereafter," Dassault said.

Dassault and SolidWorks expect the deal to be completed in the 1997 third quarter, pending regulatory and shareholder approvals.

SolidWorks will operate as a separate subsidiary of Dassault Systemes with its current management team.

The companies said SolidWorks has significant growth potential because of increased demand by engineers for its modeling capabilities with ease of use, as well as affordability."

- - - - -

I think it's safe to say the vast majority of users didn't have much experience with Solidworks prior to Dassault owning them. I bought my first seats around the time of the takeover and demo'd SW'95 long before that. As much as I'd like to blame Dassault, they've pretty much been around the whole time for most of us, for better or worse.

BTW, I also found this humorous mcad timeline...

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

"Eddy Hicks" wrote:

Check what happened to SW in 2002 (SW2001+) then...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Jan-96 Product Model Data Exchange is standardized by 'STEP'

Sad it is a great solid exchange format that nobody uses. Anytime I try to get models people always say "How about IGES." I respond "No, STEP is much better." they reply "What is STEP."

Reply to
Corey Scheich
?

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Corey,

I see that allot with machine shops. They tend to run a bit behind the curve with regards to CAD technology.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark M