How do I open/print CAD-Pack files?

I need to find a way to open and print a large number of CAD files generated in the late 90s (mostly 1998) with a CAD system called CAD-Pack. I was told it was related to CADAM, but I am unfamiliar with any such CAD tool. I have performed repeated web searches for CAD-Pack and I've visited the CADAM web site, but I am only finding dead ends.

If you open the files with a text editor, you can't read most of the data but each file has the following text in the first line:

PCADT CAD-PACK REV 5.00CAD-PACK

Any suggestions for opening/printing these files would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, our client only has hard copies for a small subset of these drawings.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

I'll guess it's this..

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I apologize, but I should have mentioned that the CADPack name is used for some other tools. The link you provided is for a schematic & PCB layout tool. The drawings I need to open/print are traditional mechanical drawings similar in appearance to AutoCAD files. I assume the tool described in the link you provided does not include the ability to produce traditional mechanical drawings, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

John,

CADAM, or Microcadam ? CADAM was an old fortran based CAD system that ran on IBM mainframes, and later on RS6000 UNIX boxes. It was originally developed by Lockeed. Microcadam was the PC version and is only sold in Japan now.

PCAD was a PCB add on program that ran with either the PC or mainframe versions of CADAM. Since you can read them with a text editor, I'm assuming that they came from the PC (microcadam) version.

As to reading and printing them,,,, I don't have a freakin clue.

Know anyone in Japan ?????

Good luck

Mark

Reply to
MM

Raises the interesting issue of archiving documents, and what file formats will be readable in 10 - 20 years.

Print them all? PDF ?

John Layne

John Layne

..then,.. it could be Herman Miller's cad stuff?...

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I believe CAD Pack from Herman Miller is basically a library of existing parts to be used in doing room layouts. My understanding is that the Herman Miller software is compatible with AutoCAD. Nonetheless, I did attempt to open the files directly in AutoCAD, but they contain no recognizable content. I even tried adding .dwg and .dxf extensions, but that made no difference.

Some of the files that need to be opened have no file extension at all, while others have a .loc file extension. I was told the .loc file extension was added to parts designed for a Library of Congress project and was not related to the CAD system.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

You didn't find any other leads using that "BigView" Hex Editor?

I need to find a way to open and print a large number of CAD files

Reply to
clintonG