how to take work home without problems???

Hi all,

I have to take work home from time to time and the only way I know to make sure I get all the files for an assembly is the do the "File, Find Reference, Copy files. But the only problem I'm running into is with the pems and stuff in the toolbox. It puts a copy of these files in the new directory at home and then when I open up the assy and try to insert a new pem it says: "you already have on open do you want to use it?" and the big problem with doing this is the automate doesn't work. I have to throw the pem some where then mate it manually. Is there a way around this or do I have something setup wrong???

Help is appreciated, Thanks - Marty

Reply to
Marty
1) when at home, focus on part design. forget about trivial fasteners until you get back to work. if absoutley required, you can create temporay place holders (generic parts) to represent fastener(s).

2) copy toolbox parts from work to toolbox folder at home (can be tedious).

Reply to
kenneth b

Hmmmmm, I thought that there was a better solution to this. I don't really want to not put in them as I go because I may miss them later.

Reply to
marty

then use option 2 (as opposed to option 1).

just make sure you're last toolbox user to leave work and first to arrive next day. :)

Reply to
kenneth b

oh, almost forgot. only one toolbox user at a time can work from home using this method.

Reply to
kenneth b

If you have a high speed Internet connection (DSDL/Cable Modem) and a capable IT department, have them set up VPN capability. You can log in to the server at work from home, loading and saving the original files instead of copies. File loads and saves are slower across the network, but if you have files spread out over many different directories, avoiding the hassle of keeping everything synchronized is well worth a little wait time.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

yes this is the best solution and have tried to get my work let me log into here from home but no go. only on can do it and his the GM. :(

thanks

Reply to
marty

Have the GM do the CAD work then. Don't take it home. Let the fargen bastages rot in hell. Damn the execs and IT--you try to help them out by working on your time and they spit in your face.

Reply to
ms

your right but get use to it

Reply to