How would you model this? (surfaces)

Greets all. I'm not much of a surfaces guy so I was hoping to get some pointers on how one might model something like the "wavy washer" pictured at the very bottom of this page / link:

Did some exploratory surgery with the Wrap feature

-- but no dice.

This is purely an academic exercise for me. I'd be shooting for a clean continuous surface. I think I could pull it off with a surface loft & two circular patterns, but odds are it'd be real ugly.

Thanks,

-Tony

Reply to
post

This is something which represents a real wave washer (compressed and uncompressed), it's a surface loft and thicken.

..

Reply to
zxys

Thanks for the model.. its interesting that none of the curves in your sketch are used as guide curves.

I'm wondering if that model would still work if the radial lines weren't in the same plane as your base sketch (the ID/OD circles) -- if, say, there were angled away from the origin -- like a cone. (Belleville washer)

I've some playing to do. Thanks again.. very informative.

Reply to
post

Model 1/2 of a wave, mirror, then circular array.

How to model 1/2 wave??? Tough question. Make a spline to trace outer edge. Under that, an arc to trace the clock position of your sweep in 2D. Sweep w. guide curve--sweep path is arc, spline is guide curve.

For good measure, make it oversize and then cut the ID and OD with a revolve or extrude. That way you can use OD and ID for mates. Maybe put a tiny flat at the crest of the wave.

Reply to
That70sTick
1st stab at it

Attempt to make flats at wave crests would not resolve in sweep. Otherwise, as advertised. Linked values in equations folder for easy adjusting.

Reply to
That70sTick

Well,.. not quite sure what you going after but here's something for now on creating a angled wave washer?

Having a guide curve in this case is not going to gain you much or get it much closer to the od/id but if it's needed you can create a cone surface and sketch a spline on surface (guide curve) on the cones surface (od/id), connect at each section corner to maintain your cone/ diameter intent?

..

Reply to
zxys