Importing Inventor assembly

Hi there

Can any one please explain to me how I can successfully open an Inventor assembly file (.IAM) in Solidworks. Also do the constraints stay intact or will I have to do something like re-constaining the assembly in solidworks.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance Allan

Reply to
Allan

I don't know inventor. However, I think your only option for getting it into SW would be an ACIS (or sat) file. You would of course have no features or assembly constraints.

JK

Reply to
jk

If neutral translations are going to be used; I'd ask for STEP if for no other reasons than ACIS flattens the assembly hierarchy and will create a discrete "part" for every solid body in the assembly; e.g. if you have several hundred instances of a bolt you'll get several hundred parts vs. one part placed several hundred times. (At least, I believe that's the way it works. Seems I've read that the latest version of ACIS at least supports sub-assemblies, so might only be the older ACIS versions, too, which is what Inventor uses. If you ever write out an ACIS for IV usage; roll the version back to v6 or 7 so they don't have to download a HOOPS viewer, etc. to convert it. They'll appreciate it. )

Reply to
Jeff Howard