Is there a associative custom property that....

Is there a associative custom property that lets me know the where a part is used in what assemblies? This property needs to be in the specific part so that on the sheet format that contains the part, it will show me the next level up the part is contained in? something like $PRPSHEET:"Description" except it will tell me what assemblies the part is in...

Hope that made sense.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Eadie

It makes sense and probably could be done in conjunction with a PDM system.

The basic problem is that parts, as lower level documents, don't know or carry knowledge about the entities that reference them. This is for good reason. Consider a 1/4-20 x 1 inch hex cap screw. It would have to carry all the where used information for every part that ever used it. (I am exagerating a bit, but am not far from the truth.) Every time you used that particular screw all your 1/4-20 x 1 HHCS prints would have to be updated or they would be out of date.

We have PDM to keep track of things like this when and where needed.

The other problem is that custom pr> Is there a associative custom property that lets me know the where a part

Reply to
P.

Thanks P

Ben

Reply to
Ben Eadie

How does Solidworks Explorer do a "Where Used..." on a *.SLDPRT file to tell you where it is used? Where does it get that info? Maybe something can be made to use the same info to find where a part is used.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

That information is only stored in the assembly not in the part, so you'd have to know where on the hard drive or network are the files that might reference the part. If you can't see the drawing or the assembly, then the drawing or assembly can't be shown on the "where used" list. PDMWorks does this by keeping a separate "where used" text file for each part. SW Explorer is not the best method for this type of search.

matt

"Richard Charney" wrote in news:1QPcd.10393$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
matt

Explorer does not actually look at the part for the where used list... it actually analyses assemblies and drawings to see if they contain that part. That is why you need to give SWX Explorer a search path when doing a where used.

Reply to
Arlin