Justifying PDMworks?

Our budget is pretty tight as far as little extras like software and
stuff goes, but we're going to try to get PDMworks for SWX to make our
lives at work a little more managable.
But, our "VAR" is offering one day ?on-site customization and training?
for $800. In Solidworks sales literature they claim a ?minimum of
techincal support and virtually no customization effort".
Just how big a job is it to set up PDMworks? How can I justify to the
higher-ups $800 for what they're going to do? What *are* they going to
do for $800?
This $495 add-on is going to cost almost $2400 for two people with
training and everything!
Thanks
Reply to
hayduke
If you don't have a real good idea of how you manage files the one day customization might be a waste of time. I would read what I could from people like Matt Lombard and from the help and SW forum before ever having the VAR on site. Once you know what you want it to do, give the VAR a heads up on what you expect. Oh, and also peruse the SW PDMWorks forum real good.
And of course find out from others whether the VAR is any good at PDM.
Reply to
TOP
If they know what they're doing, that's a bargain. But if they knew what they were doing, they'd charge twice that. I would charge you $1000/day, but it would take two days to do installation, admin training and walk you through the decision making process as well as some basic end user training.
Helping companies implement PDMWorks is one of the things I do. I've done quite a bit of it and have experience with other PDM packages. It sounds to me like these people may be doing a "this is how you turn it on, this is how you get stuff in it" sort of drive-by approach. You probably need at least some administrator training and best practice type of advice, particularly if you've never used PDM before.
By the sounds of your grumbling about these very low prices, I'd guess you don't have much exposure to PDM.
PDMWorks is pretty basic to install, and easy to configure. The problem is, if you don't have experience with it, you may have to learn some of the finer points by trial and error, which is usually 10x as expensive as just getting someone who knows to show you.
And then there's Toolbox, libraries, templates, etc. And what to do about Lifecycle. You have to make sure you have a filenaming scheme which will fit with PDMW, and network/server/storage space. And a rev scheme that you can boil down to rules which PDMW can handle. What do you do with custom properties? How is your data organized? Permissions? Any non-SW users need to see the files? Want to store non-SW data? What are the main problems you're trying to solve by getting a PDM product?
Yeah, pushing the buttons is simple, but you have to know which buttons to push, and most importantly why.
In the scheme of things, that's money well spent.
Matt Lombard
matt
If you look @
you will have everything you need to manage yours Solidworks Files and more,... You can create in real time PDF's, E-Files, DXF's, Revision Folders, you never replace the fine you will need in a future... You got see SolidReflection, is very easy and you can run overnite or in realtime...
Reply to
agnaldo.neves
I *think* we have a pretty good system in place, considering, and it looks like our scheme will fit into pdmw, but...
Are the Help files available anywhere? I looked around the swx site, but didn't find anything.
Thanks
T> If you don't have a real good idea of how you manage files the one day
Reply to
hayduke
I don't begrudge a person noting his product, but if you are going to discuss add-ons for SolidWorks software, being with a vendor, there are some things you must do to look & sound professional.
1. Get someone to represent your company who can write GREAT & complete English sentences. 2. Stay on topic in the newsgroup and don't blather advertising bullet points. 3. Be able to explain the subtleties 4. Become a SolidWorks Partner to gain credibility 5. Don't release anything until your website is up and running professionally 6. Be prepared to tell us where the company is located & why we should believe in it. You certainly do not tell us on the website.
Reply to
Bo