Large Assembly / Performance tips needed for user group presentation

Matt,

Our user group is doing quite well. In the few months we've been meeting our response back from members has been great.

Checkout our website:

and no, its the Buffalo-Niagara SolidWorks User Group, not BUGS.. ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Kuchta

\~mlombard

Go to the Rules of Thumb link, top of the list. RMB on the link to save the file locally, other wise it will run powerpoint inside the IE frame.

matt

Reply to
matt

Matt:

Here's one that I found recently that may help in some situations where you just can't seem to open an extremely large assy, even with

4GB RAM and 3GB switch.....(or with less RAM of course)

Usually this is a technique that comes in handy for fully resolving an enormous assy for the purpose of checking in to a PDM tool.

Some assemblies can't be opened fully resolved without running your box out of memory. What's interesting is that I've seen SolidWorks memory usage soar while opening, only to drastically drop after it's finished -- leaving you some memory to continue. So you open them lightweight - I find that setting LAM to auto-lightweight is the way to go. Then, you open the assemblies one-by-one in their own window and then fully resolve them. The mem usage will spike and drop, spike and drop, etc as you do this. It's kind of like using a rachet jack to jack up your car. Doing this I've been able to fully resolve assemblies that were otherwise impossible to check in.

It's still painful, but it does work.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

For checking in large assemblies with the PDM (DBWorks) I've also found that it helps to open the assembly file, fully resolve all the components, then open the drawing file, lastly Check-IN the drawing file...and the assembly file automatically checks in after the drawing file.

Ken

Reply to
TinMan