lead up the garden path by solidworks

Why does solidworks 'work' one moment and fall to pieces the next, with the same files and everything? I've been working on imported surfaces, which came in a knitted together fine (two halves of a bottle). Then I thicken to solid and perform a whole range of other tasks on them, then save and close. Then I reopen with no problem, edit and add features with no problem. Then I save and close, re-open and re-edit, and BAMM - original surface-knit no longer works. So why lead me on like this? I know I can use CTRL-Q to check, but why build the surface-knit in the first place?

(SW2003, SP3.1, Win2K, 1GB RAM etc etc...)

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette

Yep, it happens.

You could rollback to the import feature and do a Tools/Check and see what may be the culprit? Or do Tools/Check at stages where you suspect features are close to edge/seams which change the topology (faces/seams) of the imported topology.

If there are problem areas, you can recognize, you can try to fix/replace them there.

Or, do some crude workaround like, export that feature as a STEP and reimport it in another file, have it auto stitch, then export it as a parasolid and reimport/replace it in your original file/feature. Also, try and export the feature using parasolid and reimport/replace it, it should have the same id's and your features should rebuild (or at least I've had luck with it)?

Anyhow, that is the reality of imported data, it's not always pretty. And, I'll add, it is something which happens with SW native data, do a ctrl-q it goes away, close, open, and it's back.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

We've got one part that cycles through good and bad every time you rebuild it. Other parts seem to fail much more randomly. We have parts that are fine for long periods of time and then suddenly fail. Rebuilding them brings them back OK...for a while. Sometimes one part, which is based on another part, will suddenly fail. Load the base part, which is invariably OK, and then the child will rebuild successfully. I don't have any explanation for any of this, but adding more new features is apparently much more important than making the modeler more robust.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger