Linear pattern preselection

We have noticed that in a SW2008 assy, and not totally sure it has always been this way in SW2008, that preselecting components and also an edge, and then invoking a linear pattern will not populate the direction box with the edge. It takes that edge as a component selection with the rest and gives nothing in the direction box. Anyone else seeing this? I tried it again in SW2007 to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yes Wayne

It works like that here too, and it's very annoying once You've got used to pick the parts and the edge at the same time.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Thanks for mentioning this. I saw it last week and wondered what the heck was going on. I think this could be part of a trend away from pre-selection.

I am finally busy again after a lull and am finally putting 2008 through it's paces. When I think of it, I'll post a couple of other things that I am seeing like this.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

I refuse to acknowledge it as a trend as it may become one. Preselection is just about always faster in that if you have preselected the proper stuff, then SW will put that stuff in the correct places and present you with the most logical use of it. Once you learn how it will handle that stuff, you can zoom along faster because you know what choices it has made.

I will turn this one in.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

A big part of my proffesion is observing people.

I have noted for years that, while watching SWx employees and developers use SWx, they don't usually pre-select (I say 'usually' because there are *a few* exceptions). So when they do it their way everything works fine, which equals 'no problem'. I have had a number of bug submission sessions follow that template - it doesn't work the way that I thought to use it, but when they do it it's fine - all based on selection order.

I almost always pre-select, because as a designer my thought process is ' here are two things I want to do something to then... pause... here's the thing I want to do to them'. I think as developers their general perspective is 'here's a function, now let's look for something to do that function to' (i.e. post select)

So keep up your moxy - they need to know that well-written code will work both ways (pre or post select) and just because it works with post select that doesn't mean the job is done.

Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton