Newbie with modelling Helical Threads

I need to model the following specs in Solidworks and I have no idea what they're on about. Assignment is due Monday!:

Stub 60 Deg, MOD 0.1P 0.3L Class 2A (inches) Overall Thread (like overall OD I gathered): 1.25" Major Dia: 1.2456/1.2360 Pitch Dia: 1.2092/1.2040 Minor Dia: 1.1736/1.1580

I thought "pitch" was the dimension between adjacent threads so why are they providing diameters. I can't seem to find any standard thread information on the net as to "Class 2A".

Can anyone help me out with deciphering the above into "Solidworks Speak" - draw helical curve, sweep boss, pitch height, # of revolutions...?

Thanks New guy

Reply to
TatorUK

Tator,

Hmmm.... a bit cryptic ain't it.

Looks to me like it's a 1.25 x 10tpi (.1Pitch), 3 start (.3 Lead), class 2a (external fit classification). Overall thread, in this case, "i think" refers to the length of thread. Ya got a machinery handbook ? The threading chapter is about the same going back 40 years or so. It also has some very small print (gives me a hell of a headache)

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Sorry, my bad. The six start has a .05 pitch...duh.

The numbers just don't work (unless I don't know what the hell I'm talkin about..likley)

I'll send you the file anyway. at least it will show you how to construct it

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Just to let you know if you start using Helical anything your documents will slow way down. If you are doing this for necessity then go right ahead if you are doing this for representation. Use a non helical thread. If you must use a Helical thread. I have always been urged to draw 1 revolution and array the rest where possible. They say it is faster. You can do some tests using Feature Statistics.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich