obscure minutia

snipped-for-privacy@cbd.net says...

This qualifies as obscure for sure. I knew you'd be good for some stuff like this. I've never used this function before. Do you use this on real jobs? Does the number of named faces sometimes become prohibitive or is there some way to mass select and mass name faces? Do you need to worry about the settings in Tools, Options, External References (Automatically generate names for referenced geometry)?
I know there was a thread about this recently concerning incontext. I guess I'm curious about if you actually use this or if it's just an academic possibility.
Matt
Great, we've got some good ideas flowing here. Here's some more:
- select faces to do a partial export. when the save begins, it will ask if you are trying to save the part or just the faces.
- draw a line lined up with (starting to one side and finishing further to that side) an endpoint or the origin and it will pick up a coincident relation
- in the Bodies folders, features that affect each body are listed under the body.
- all of the "select" options from the RMB for edges, such as tangency, loop, open loop, partial loop, the inside loop trick with a face and an inside edge, also the window select options, left vs right drag window select, the new invert selection, the obvious selection filters, the Tools, Options setting that allows you to select edges through a solid model, and the seemingly undocumented fact that in SW05 this function is turned on by default by the fillet feature (although this might be a bug rather than obscure minutia).
And in the same vein you can add export faces to temp.iges, fix, delete and reimport repaired faces.
In a different vein entirely, and you could do several presentations on this, editing the special files for things like custom properties, templates, sheet formats, gtol.sym, bend tables, linetypes etc.
snipped-for-privacy@cbd.net says...

Oh, yes. Most excellent. The famous middle finger custom symbol posted by Roland Scaleri many moons ago. The perfect tip for "special" occasions.
Just a reminder that having the edges turned on takes more power, so if you are dealing with a large model, turning off the edges can make a significant difference.
WT