OFF TOPIC: Major and Minor Dia.

I'm stuck, I'm modeling a thread for a friend and he wants a 9-16 dl thread. I can't find the Major and Minor for a 9-16.

Anyone know it?

A 10-16 is 0.189/0.0183 0.141/0.135 A 7-16 is 0.158/0.152 0.114/0.108

Reply to
Dan Andrews

Did you try calling your Nut & Bolt supplier they may have that info, if nobody else does.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Have you looked in your Machinst handbook?

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Dan,

I've never heard of such a size - do you really think it exists?

Past that, the thread height should should be the same for any thread with the same pitch, so just get that info from what you have. As far as the basic size, a #9, - I don't think there is such a standard. You could certainly never find any hardware of that size. You might as well use anything you want - a 9-15.2, or whatever. A machinist will be making both mating parts in either case.

Sincerely, Jerry Forcier

Dan Andrews wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Paul Salvador

No 9 thread in my machinery's handbook. 6,8,10,12

Reply to
Rudy Kube

(oops, I hit the keyboard while walking away...)

Anyhow, he most likely means 9/16 thread but...

There is a possibility it is a old or non-us wire thread size for spokes?

9 swg(0.157 in. x 40 tpi)9 swg (0.144 in. dia.) spokes.

Many of the standards come from wire sizes so screw sizes for UN 7, 9 and 11 could/may exist somewhere?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Hmmm ... well I sure can't find it in Machinery's Handbook, or in the Pocket Companion. Doesn't seem to be a 60 degree thread. Wonder what the "dl" after the 9-16 (in Dan's post) is supposed to mean?

'Sporky'

Paul Salvador wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

"dl" may be a typo and it should be "dbl" for double thread?

hmm,.. ?

Reply to
Paul Salvador

"Dan Andrews" wrote

Not sure what the "dl" stands for - double lead thread, maybe? Anyway, the others have already mentioned that it can't be found in a current Machinery's handbook. I have a collection of old ones and I'll try to look at them tonight.

Deb

Reply to
Deb Dowding

I just checked in a 1946, 13th edition and nothing there.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote > I just checked in a 1946, 13th edition and nothing there.

Maybe it's for a REALLY old machine. I found some info in a very old book that might be useful:

From the MECHANICAL ENGINEERS' POCKET-BOOK, by William Kent, M.E., Sc.D., eighth edition copyright 1910 (I said it was old, didn't I?)

The A.S.M.E. Standard Machine Screws (with credit given to Corbin Screw Corporation) lists a No. 9 screw that has 32 threads per inch. (.177-32) A double thread would be 9-16, wouldn't it? Anyway, the specs are the following:

Min OD - .1723 Max OD - .177 Min Pitch Dia - .1544 Max Pitch Dia - .1567 Min Root Dia - .1307 Max Root Dia - .1364

Hope that helps you out. If it's not what you're looking for, you might ask over at alt.machines.cnc.

Deb

P.S. If you ever get a chance to look at a copy of this book, do it. It's amazing how little some things have changed in the last 100 years. Besides, you never know when you'll need to calculate the horse-power of a running stream or the economic performance of steam engines. :)

Reply to
Debbie Dowding

This is going a bit more off the original topic, but I found it interesting to compare my old 13th edition to my newer 26th. In 54 years some of the stuff is still there and useful. However, in the old one I couldn't find anything on lasers or electron beam welding. Guess it wasn't important back then. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

interesting

I found the same data that Deb reported (ASME 1907 machine screws) in my dad's 1939 printing of Marks' Handbook.

Art W

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Hello there.

After reading all these posts on the size of number threads I wanted to share what seems to be a little know formula.

Major Dia = .013N + .060

For example for a #10,

.013 * 10 + .060 = .190

---------------------------- For a #2,

.013 * 2 +.060 = .086

For a #0

---------------------------- .013 * 0 +.060 = .060

and so on.

---------------------------- For something like a #00, .013 is subtracted for each 0 _additional_ zero in the designator.

For a #00

.013 * 0 + .060 - .013 = .047

By the way, this IS emminently useful to know when you are using solidworks as you can type the math into the size box and get the correct diameter when making threaded shafts etc. This is also very useful in design tables.

I can get in big trouble for sharing this well kept secret but I will be in a safe house by nightfall.

Conspiracy or Coincidence?

Regards,

SMA

Reply to