OT: A utility kind of like XTree Gold

Hi guys (and ladies) -- I'm looking for a utility that will perform one specific function for which XTree Gold used to be particularly useful (in the bad old days of DOS) and which neither Windows Explorer nor my favorite replacement (2xExplorer) will do. I want to list all files in a subdirectory tree and sort them by date. Yes, I know I can create a DIRectory listing by going back to a DOS window and doing it (DIR /S /O-D > filelist.txt), but that still separates files out into subdirectories, even if it does list them all. I want something that dumps all files into one listing regardless of subdirectory and will allow me to sort by date (or whatever). Anyone seen anything like that?

Thanks, Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC Charlotte, NC

Reply to
Sporkman

Try ZTree for windows. Works great! Better than XTree.

Jerry Forcier

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Spork,

Go to

for the 30 day trial (it's only about $30 to register)

If you liked XTG as I did in the DOS days, you'll love Ztree.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

ZTree is the best if you want all and more XTree capabilities... You could also use windows explorer s'earch.

D. Short

Reply to
D. Short

Hey 'Sporky',

I'm not sure what the motivation here is - but I can imagine. I use Beyond Compare a *LOT* for differencing folders and stuff. It has a sweet folder view that allows you to diff entire directory structures. I just checked, because I thought you could also go in and view folder hierarchies and sort by date like you wanted...but you can't. They are traditionally very receptive to feature requests though...so I think I'll submit one.

Check it out though - I can't say enough about this program...especially for design work, and CAD folder structures.

BTW - I'm pretty sure WinCVS does what you want. It is clunky - and really made for ues with CVS, but if you are in a bind - you *could* install it and just use it to browse and sort a directory tree for you. It really isn't meant to be a full-on file browser, but you may like it. Who knows.

Mark.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Hi Spork,

The absolute best tool I have used for this type of stuff is

4DOS/TakeCommand/4NT by JP software. It been around for at least 10 years and is a well developed command line environment.

Is awesome if you need to do file manipulations and lists of directories (subdirs, sorted whatever) and has the most awesome directory "customisation" that I have ever found. It's a command line environment and probably alot more than you might want, but it is an extermely capable little program and is shareware too.

Regards,

SMA

DIR [/124 /A[[:][-]rhsda] /BCDEFGH /I"text" /JKLMN /O[[:][-]adeginrsu] /PRS /T[: acw] /UVWZ] [file...] /1 (one column) /L(ower case) /2 (two columns) /M (suppress footer) /4 (four columns) /N(ew format) /A(ttribute select) /O(rder) /B(are) /P(ause) /C(ompression) /R (disable wRap) /D(isable color coding) /S(ubdirectories) /E (upper case) /T (aTtribute) or (Time) /F(ull path) /U (sUmmary information) /G (allocated size) /V(ertical sort) /H(ide dots) /W(ide) /I (match descriptions) /X (display short names) /J(ustify names) /Z (use FAT format) /K (suppress header)

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Spork,

In Windoze, right click on the main folder. Select search. In the filename text box type *.* (holy shit it's a DOS command). Below the "Look in" drop down there is a "When was it modified" selector. BTW, be sure to check the "More advanced options" selection to search sub folders.

HTH,

M.T

Oh, BTW, this is for W>Hi guys (and ladies) -- I'm looking for a utility that will perform one

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Malcolm

In Win2k, (and presumably in XP, although I have noticed a few retrograde changes re wildcard searches in the latter) you don't actually need the *.* You can just leave it blank and it still lists all the files

Sorting by date (as opposed to restricting the search by date) is done by clicking on the column heading for Modified, click again to invert order (Created doesn't seem to be a column option - anyone?)

As you say, the subfolder switch can be a hidden trap.

The crux of the original question though (unless I misunderstand) is this:

Can the resulting list of filenames be saved as (say) a text or spreadsheet file?

( I don't know of any other way than doing a screenshot and performing OCR on it (wee joke))

text box type *.* (holy shit it's a DOS

selector. BTW, be sure to check the "More

Reply to
Andrew Troup
[For the benefit of those not intimately familiar with Windows "Search"]

Re Malcolm's suggestion:

In Win2k, you don't actually need the *.* You can just leave it blank and it still lists all the files in that folder (presumably XP is the same, although I have noticed a few retrograde changes re wildcard searches in the latter)

Sorting by date (as opposed to restricting the search by date) is done by clicking on the column heading for Modified, click again to invert order (Created doesn't seem to be a column option - anyone?)

As Malcolm points out, the subfolder switch can be a hidden trap.

The crux of the original question though (unless I misunderstand) is this:

Can the resulting list of filenames be saved as (say) a text or spreadsheet file? (I've got a DOS based "Send To" script, accessible by RMB within Windows, which generates a file list from a folder's contents. Deadly handy. It would be cool if it could work from a selection set within a search window, but when I try it it only catches the first file from the set)

( I don't know of any other way, unless you count taking a screenshot and performing OCR on it (wee joke))

One more question about the listed files: is there any way to do a Boolean "AND" search? eg "Search within results" for a second term?

text box type *.* (holy shit it's a DOS

selector. BTW, be sure to check the "More

Reply to
Andrew Troup

: : As Malcolm points out, the subfolder switch can be a hidden trap. : : The crux of the original question though (unless I misunderstand) is this: : : Can the resulting list of filenames be saved as (say) a text or spreadsheet : file? : (I've got a DOS based "Send To" script, accessible by RMB within Windows, : which generates a file list from a folder's contents. Deadly handy. : It would be cool if it could work from a selection set within a search : window, but when I try it it only catches the first file from the set) : Maybe you have to Ctrl-A Select All for this to work. 'Send to' unfortunately mostly deals with objects, not lists. Hard to get it to pass what is on the screen as text, and not as representations of the file content.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

"Andrew Troup" a écrit dans le message de news: DGszc.2411$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz...>

spreadsheet

Get and install MSWin Tweak UI (old as Win 95, works with NT, 2K, dunnow 'bout XP). Then you will have added in the RMB menu "send to" the choice "Clipboard as name".

Ctrl or Shift select the files whose names you need, and have their names copied to clipboard. Paste wherever you want, text or spreatsheet.

HIH JM

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

text box type *.* (holy shit it's a DOS

selector. BTW, be sure to check the "More

Why didn't I think of this? That's actually all I need, coupled with

2xExplorer (freeware) which does the directory compare thing, and which (BTW) I highly recommend. Thanks to all who replied.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Jean Marc

I was really intrigued by this, it sounded like a really useful item. I was perplexed also, 'cos I already had TweakUI v1.33 installed, in Win2k (have used it for years, wouldn't be without it), with "Shell enhancements" turned on, but (for whatever reason) the enhanced Send To options you describe were not installed, and are not available from the Control Panel.

I found "Send To Toys v2.21" (freeware, from

and installed it. Great piece of software, nice features- thanks! 2.21 appears to be the latest version. The Microsoft website doesn't go past v1.2 This is billed as working right up to and including WinXP

It works brilliantly if I log in as administrator- As usual with TweakUI I had to copy the Send To shortcuts to my user profile, and this appeared to work OK, and the broad Send To enhanced choices appear on the RMB for the user, but of course there had to be a "But".........

If I log in as a user, I can't get the options to work properly for "Send To Clipboard". These are indispensable switches to do with whether to capture the filename or the complete path, whether to put quotes round filenames with spaces, and whether to use a new line for each file.

Although they come up when I Control-click, and I can tick the options, the ticks don't take effect even for the immediate operation, let alone stay ticked.

Must be some permissions issue I have to resolve, but I'm a bit out of my depth- I guess I'll have a poke around in the cobwebs of the registry.

Thanks again, nice tip.

Reply to
Andrew Troup

text box type *.* (holy shit it's a DOS

selector. BTW, be sure to check the "More

LS File List generator will do the same and save as a text file/ html/csv with lots of options.

Freeware

Reply to
JAK