OT Blender and Indigo

As general interest for rendering folks here is a link to an image recent done with a test version of Indigo - similar stuff to Maxwell but free. Development is coming along well.

2.42 and Yafray 0.9 have been released over the last week and development continues at a fair clip.
expect that a few more renderers will have better integration for 2.43 and more compositing and node tools are in the works too. Guess I will have to put some decent effort into making a few non participating entries for Robs contest. Yeah I promise better materials.... :o) Maybe we should have mini animation contests too? BTW Pleasing to see PW 07 has some real improvements. later :o)

Reply to
neil

neil - thanks for the update . Maxwell is getting much better now and the render times have improved alot with the latest release. However its Achilles heal is still the rendering of decals, plus the fiddly nature of applying textures using the SW plugin and Maxwell Studio. Its not very intuative for the non Computer Graphics experts ;-) ( of whom I am one)

How is this acheived with the Indigo/Blender combo?

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Hi Jonathon Well getting decals done in Indigo is fiddly too. Basically you map to UV coordinates in Blender and then use a Python script to produce an XML file and image. These then are used in Indigo with manual mods to the XML if needed. At the moment you need to be a bit of a wild-eyed experimenter to use it :o) so its even less practical for the non geek inclined... and of course Blender is criticised for being difficult to learn anyway....and you need to export as VMRL from SW in the first place.Yeah so a bit messy really.

It is a pity Maxwell doesn't have the integration with SW it could. I heard that some of the necessary data can't be linked? I wonder if this is SW being obstructive...

I will post some Indigo progress again in a while for general interest. later - neil

BTW Indigo has supported networked processing for a while and in the latest test version has multithreaded support as well. You really need some decent pc hp to get things done like this in a reasonable amount of time but the results can be quite realistic :o) and I guess that's what we are all chasing. ...and you guessed it Indigo is developed by a Kiwi.

Reply to
neil

Great image Neil. It would be cool to see more. It's always nice to know what else is out there.

I've thought of doing some Maxwell renderings of the PW contest models but I just haven't had time to learn how to use Maxwell.

neil wrote:

Reply to
Rock Guy