OT Home Computer 2004

From 1954 popular mechanics magazine

Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "home computer" could look like in the year

2004.

John Scheldroup

That70sTick

Reply to
vetman

WOW! That looks just like mine, except that my printer is bigger, and I don't have a steering wheel.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

That steering wheel is the new thing to replace your mouse!

Reply to
Keith Streich

wonder what the laptop would look like?

Reply to
3d

What on Earth would a user want to do with a "home" computer programmed in FORTRAN?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Kind of reminds you of the old sci-fi movies like Young Frankenstein. And the purpose of the steering wheel is what?? So you can drive while looking over your shoulder at the monitor on the wall?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

No, now think a minute. Everything back then was linear, no sideways available!

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

No No No Wayne it is an early scroll wheel. The large one is up and down the smaller one is side to side.

Corey

Reply to
CS

"John Scheldroup" wrote in news:30704eF2u6364U1@uni- berlin.de:

What do you mean 1954? Thats actually a picture of Hamei's computer! :)

Bing

Reply to
Bing

Hope this doesn't spoil the fun...

John Scheldroup wrote:

Reply to
That70sTick

Also-rans in the photo competition...

Reply to
That70sTick

LOL. I bet it is!

Reply to
Kathy

Reply to
Jeff N

Had me fooled

Reply to
John Scheldroup

What's funnier is that in the fark.com forum that originated this and other hotos, the rendering artist got special recognition for being noted by snopes.com as a new urban legend. Now that's an achievement!

Again, here's a link to the photo's origin. Some good stuff. I'm especially fond of the one featuring keyboardist Keith Emerson.

Reply to
That70sTick