OT mechanism design

I know this off topic, but since i know this is a forum with very skilllful peope i will give it a try.. I want to build a mechanism with a virtual rotating point, imagine a rectangular box that i want to rotate around its area center, but the link itself cannot ble placed in the area center. which type of mechanism do I use to do this?, any references to web sites or books is greatly appreciated. a similar mechanism is used for hinging the hood of automobiles, but there the point also translates.

Mads

Reply to
Mads

Multiple revolutions, or just a partial turn?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

have a look here :

the link is pretty long...)

there's a nice small software that's definitely useful to design such things :

Philippe Guglielmetti

Do a google search on a "crank mechanism".

Reply to
Markus Wankus

A converging (think trapezoid) 4-link mechanism will make an approximate center of rotation in space but has a limited arc. The point of rotation will resemble the letter E if it were written. Another method is to use a spherical joint similar to a computer monitor base.

Reply to
Walms

partial turn, approx 25 deg total.

Mads "Dale Dunn" skrev i melding news:Xns93FB55DC352EBdaledunnatjamestoolc@65.24.7.50...

Reply to
Mads

The problem is that the point of rotation must not translate, spherical joint is difficult because of lack of space.

thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciate it

Mads

"Walms" skrev i melding news:rIDab.7977$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Mads

What sort of accuracy are you looking for?

Is the point of rotation in 1 or 2 planes?

Reply to
Walms

I've done something like this before. Build a circular guideway or track outside the part. Adjust it so the centerpoint of the track's radius is at the desired point of rotation. Attach the part with an arm to a carriage that follows the track. The motion will be circular about the centerpoint of the track's radius, but with no attachment to the centerpoint.

Art Woodbury

Reply to
Art Woodbury

I have another solution but it will be difficult to describe. If you are interested, let me know and I'll email the model to you.

Reply to
Walms

Do you want to turn about a true center, or approximately?

To turn around the true center, you might use a guide rail in the shape of circular arc. There are linear bearing systems that will work on a curved rail.

To turn about an approximate center using linkages, there are several possibilities I can imagine, and probably a lot more in the handbooks others have mentioned. Without knowing exactly what you're doing, I can only suggest guesses.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I have used a double tracked cam follower systems in the past. Two cam followers mounted on a bar and being guided by the paths cut into a side frame. You can move points in space with almost no restrictions. There are some tricks to getting it to work really well though.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

I have received and tested your model, it was exactly what i was looking for, thanks.

Mads

"Walms" skrev i melding news:EhFab.8025$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Mads