Paranoid psychopath

SolidWorks has made good ol' bob z. a paranoid psychopath. He first started talking in the third-person. He made posts to newsgroups in the third-person. He recites song lyrics to anyone and everyone that will listen. Now bob z. has become just plain crazy. bob z. has 2 of the many, many buttons on his spaceball programmed. one does a rebuild, the other does a save. bob z. will open a part in solidworks, double-click a feature, change the dimension and then hit the 2 buttons on the spaceball. bob z. will watch the change happen and then hit the hotkeys on his keyboard for REBUILD and SAVE. (F2 & F3, respectively.) as an aside, F4 is 'close currently open document. if you'll look at your keyboard for a moment. see that? nice... :~)>

the point of this post. bob z. gets to where he is rebuilding and saving every component at least TWICE. why? solidworks has him gunshy! who knows when the next 'failed to save' will pop up. better save a lot to increase the chances right? bob z. is his own worst enemy. bob z. should just save once. save once! bob z. would probably never see a 'failed to save' if he would just save once.

bob z. p.s. the warheads will all rust in peace...

Reply to
bob zee

When am I supposed to see 'failed to save' ? Haven't seen it yet, in

2006 anyway.

Maybe I am just to overworked and I nod off after I hit the Save? Probably kept me from going psycho...nodding off...

Bo

Reply to
Bo

We periodically get "failed to save" using 2006sp5. Glad to hear we're not the only ones, Bob.

I've assumed it is some quirk of saving files over a network, as various people in the past have reported that SWX doesn't work well over networks - God knows why, since no other app has that problem!

John H

Reply to
John H

this happened to me this monday morning... i failed to shave... : )

last week i was finishing a complex model and wanted to save it , and solidworks did not recognize the security device and wanted to terminate the freakin program. aaah panic got a bit agressive with the hardware but it helped , i didnt lose my data.

looks like your suffering from RSI (repeative save injury) take your best hardrock mp3 and play on max volume and jump around. This will help to make you feel better.

Bram

"bob zee" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
bvw

Boy, I thought that the topic would be either Jon Bonquer or Cliff Huprick based on the subject line!

Reply to
ms

I've had problems with "Failed to Save", too. In 2006, it was definitely a network problem, if the connection had a blip or something. The workaround was to save a copy on my harddrive, then resave on the network drive. A pain, but easy enough to get around.

Now in 2007, I get that error on occasion when I am NOT working on the network at all. It will not save a copy anywhere else, just keeps repeating the error. So, I obsessively save as well. ctrl-S, constantly. I've only ever had trouble with the error on assemblies, I think.

Reply to
esobota

"esobota" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

I do not think it is the "Failed to Save" error we are talking about there. Generaly, when it happens to us here, it is on a local drive. And soon after, it ends with a crash on most cases. Anyway, I did not find any way to save the work done, and that includes trying to save to a different name.

SW2006 SP5.1

PS: I have a sh/tload of emails sent to SMTP: snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com. Anybody thinks they even care to extract anything from them? , and maybe do something about it?

PPS: And why snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com? non-quality would be the kindest name I would give.

Reply to
Jean Marc

They won't know any difference in Mumbai.

Reply to
Bo

Dammit!

I wasn't having this problem until I read this (#&$@&$@(#$*( thread yesterday! VAR says nobody else is suffering, it must all be in my head. BLAH!

Reply to
Bike Racer

I'd blame Windows, IDE / SATA controllors, poor network stacks, bad cabling, loose connections, write and read caching, etc etc etc...

The list goes on... and on and on....

Reply to
Brian RH

COOOL. bob z. was just going to blame himself and his spastic behavior. :~)>

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

"Brian RH" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

You work for a SW VAR? (or non-V. A. R., except for the bills ;=)))

The said pb occur only when working on SW files, I suppose it's the computer that hate these files. So SW should find a way that my machine loves them, and appreciate working on them...

Reply to
Jean Marc

In network based Fail to save situations:

Here are a few recommendations:

1) Check the location of the SolidWorks journal file. This should be on a local machine rather than on the network. 2) Under Tools->Options->System Options->Backups, set Save Auto recover info every n changes to a higher value. In addition, reduce the number of backups per document to 1. 3) If the location of the backup files is the same as the original file, (Tools->Options->System Options->Backups->Save backup files in the same location as the original is checked), then change it to another location on a local drive.

This can be caused due to a network error too, please check with network administrator.

With respect to simple/local fail to save situations:

Check to see if the system is running low on resources. It is also possible that the file in question is damaged and needs to be repaired.

I did a little reading and there seems to be some confusion about what is going with the Windows Network and/or Permissions where the files are being saved.

Other issues relate to Add-Ins...

Long standing issue actually... (surprise surpise) More like a mostly useless error dialog. It would be nice if programs complained about specific errors with instructions on how to fix the problems.

Reply to
Brian RH

Back in my Inventor days, while at a user group meeting one fellow was fairly livid when he mentioned that IV was crashing 3 or 4 times every day. This wasn't a common experience but another fellow said that it was some type of network problem, and he had a specific solution. Then back with SW 2004, (or around that time) there was some discussions on another discussion group that they periodically had some problem and the recommendation for that fellow was also to address the network. My conclusion is that parametric modelers have a "sensativity' with networks, possibly because of the amount of data being shuffled back and forth. I have only ever used a single machine and have not had much trouble and have never seen this error message other then when SW was in the middle of crashing. Actually, I'm pleased to report that SW2007 has been much better then SW 2006 which was better then SW 2005 in the area of crashes. So, SW is making good progress.

EdT

Reply to
Ed

"Ed" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...

I do not know about '07, but to me, the most stable version was '01sp10 (from memory on th sp), and I fin '06sp5.1 much more prone to crash than '04 and it is also the first timer (for us) on failed to save.

Reply to
Jean Marc

"Ed" wrote

I don't believe that for 2 reasons:-

1) I've used 2 other 3D systems (Bravo and I-DEAS) on networked systems that didn't have this type of problem 2) Surely the act of saving a file is an OS command - the app shouldn't know or care whether it's local or not, as it just sees a drive letter.

When we see this error occur with SWX it is usually followed by a crash i.e. just more buggy software from SoiledWorks Corp.

John H

Reply to
John H

I had one just yesterday after literally years of not seeing it. Luckily I didn't lose much work.

I have no idea as to why. We really don't have a network here. Just a bunch of boxes on a hub with shares.

l8r

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Sure seems to me SolidWorks should find someone who has the problem rather often and put a sniffer on the system to log what is going on until they identify exactly what is happening. Logical?

Bo

Reply to
Bo

1) Obviously, not all software is going to have the same problems but Inventor definately did at the time and apparently SW does now, at least in some situations. It just seems like there are few other types of software packages that "stress" the computer/ network systems as much as these types of CAD packages do. Perhaps Bravo and I-DEAS have a little better code to monitor/ automatically correct for some of the lost packets? 2) I have not heard that these problems are always associated with "savings" operations. But the saving operation could definately invoke such a problem if it is related to moving lots of data through a network. Actually, when Inventor was running on a network it would apparently lock up totally independently of "saving". This was a few years back and one of the fellows knew about this and had a specific "fix". I didn't have the problem at the time so I didn't pay much attention the the details but it was more of a Windows "network" setting. As far as SW, it seemed, (from memory) that SW had an identified problem with lockups Toolbox was located on a different machine on a networked system. A search could be done on this.

Fortunately, I have had very few problems with 2006 and even less with

2007 but I am a single user on a single machine. I would find it interesting to see who, (ie. single users or networked users) has the most of these types of problems.

EdT

Reply to
Ed

If you encounter another 'Failed to Save' message try this:

1) Activate the configuration that was active when the assembly was opened. 2) Save the file.

Works everytime for me!

go

Reply to
go