PDMWORKS Q?

Matt,

I was responding to Kav's following question:

"Do all the PDM softwares with other cad packages Pro/e, catia, ug work in the same fashion? They also find it difficult to handle multiple configs or multiple sheets? "

If Kav had an understanding of how other programs solved this issue he wouldn't have asked the question.Thought since this is a SW user group I'd provide some information on how other people were solving the same issues with other programs. Used PDMWorks for 3 years at JDS Uniphase and liked the program for what it was. I had it working mult-site and a whole slew of other things before it became fashionable. Even wrote a specification for an ECO module that was requested by SW Corp. Got to know Joy quite well in our email and phone discussions. Guess my assumption was incorrect. Sorry!

I use DBWorks as the foundation for an integrated engineeing package for small engineering and manufacturing firms (MCAD, Document Control, Accounting, Manufacturing, etc..). Its based on a business model I developed over the last 15 years as a mechanical designer.

As for pricing, you might want to give integrated partner solutions

a call. They are a North American Platinum Reseller of DBworks. They could supply you with the pricing for different flavours (Workgroup vs. Enterprise) etc..... Like most people have discovered first hand..... its not the software but how you incorporate the business process that makes or breaks the application.

My appologies again if anyone was offended by my attempt to provide information on a problem people are having. I'll keep my "sales" opinion to my self from here on in.

Have a good weekend people.

Cheers,

Len

Reply to
lmar

Matt,

Why are you so upset with someone posting a solution to someone else's problem, it makes you sound like a salesman for PDMWorks!

Reply to
adam

"adam" wrote in news:Vr5he.17429$ye1.4726@okepread06:

I'm not upset. I'm not a salesman.

I'm also not interested in pissing contests with salesmen. With your previous posts, I see a plonk list entry with your name on it.

Len had some useful content in his post, although his "lack of understanding" comment was a little condescending.

Reply to
matt

It depends. Here I have a separate number for drawings and parts because we have so many configuration driven parts. The drawing will typically get its number from the first of the design table configurations it contains but not always.

Reply to
TOP

Manual control of revision, at a casual glance that seems to defeat the purpose of PDMW.

If you release a drawing to a vendor and then decide to make a "cosmetic change", you now have a different document (which is "usually" cause for a red line, then revision roll). Of course if the document was not released, then there is an option in PDMW to overwrite the current rev.

Reply to
remy martin

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. Another question. Why in PDMWorks we always have to enter the NUMBER and DESCRIPTION although we can skip it initially. In my case description is always same as the file name. Can it be mapped to the SW

- FILE NAME or shall I stop filling in DESCRIPTION properties and start using SW - FILE NAME in title block and BOM?

TIA Kav

Reply to
Kav

"Kav" wrote in news:1116283930.735953.203040 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, that's just one of those little annoyances. I just hit the button that says "don't ask me again", and I'm done with it.

I did write a macro that copies the filename to the Number property.

Let me know if you're interested.

Matt

Reply to
matt

Thanks Matt,

Do send me that macro to snipped-for-privacy@rediffmail.com. I will modify that macro that will copy filename to Description property.

Thanks Kav

Reply to
Kav

oh...

Matt ..the mail id is ksbawa @ rediffmail.com It will certaily be very handy.. Thanks Kav

Reply to
Kav

PDMWorks revisions are really file versions. Anytime a file is checked in its version changes. But such checkins can be for reasons having nothing to do with the intent of the drawing, model or assembly to communicate a specific version of a part. For example, when the you go through the feature tree and rename the features is that a revision change or a file version change? It is not a revision change because it changes nothing having to do with the documentation of the part. When you add a new part to an existing model via configurations and check in the new model is that a revision change to the pre-existing part, NO. But it does change the version of the file. When you move the location of a part referenced by an assembly and update the assembly to reflect this change is it a revision change or a version change? Revision changes are what the rest of the company understands regarding the part being documented. Version changes are what PDMWorks understands because it is tied to the SolidWorks software and they do not necessarily have a direct bearing on the form, fit or function of a part.

Reply to
TOP

Hi Matt, I'd be interested too. My email is mgibeault I am at alto-design and it's a dot com

Thanks, Marc

Reply to
Marc Gibeault