photoworks material library conversion

Could someone plse help me out here

In SW2001+ / 2003, prior to the photoworks 2 release, I had a few material libraries I used. Now, in 2004, I am being told that these libraries need to be translated before they can be used in version 2.

I dowloaded the initial photoworks 2 that came with SW SP 3.1, and there is a program called miconv.exe with wich to translate libraries.

But.... I have already set up SW2004 and removed 2003. Is there a way to convert the libraries with SW2004 instead of 2003? When I try it out nothing happens.

Or do I need a running 2003 SP3.1 or up to do the conversion?

Mamba

Reply to
Mamba

You need to do your conversions in 2003 Sp 3.1. The reason for this is 2003 had both PhotoWorks 1 & PhotoWorks 2 installed so the conversion process could translate between the two. SolidWorks 2004 does not support PhotoWorks 1.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Also any part that was rendered in PW1 I believe needs to be opened and the legacy data updated to PW2 It always said. 'If you do not translate the legacy data to PW2 you will be unable to use it in the next version of SolidWorks.' (paraphrased) So if you already have updated these parts to 2004 you are as they say SOL!!!!

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

The parts I wanted to use were still prior 2003 SP3.1.

I installed SW2003 SP3.1 on another machine today, and used the conversion tool to update my custom material archive. Lots of errors, only half of the materials survived.

Started SW, with Photoworks 1; parts & rendering ok, although some errors

started SW with Photoworks 2; parts legacy translated, loads of material errors.

Spent nearly full day trying to figure out how to rebuild my material archive. Too many errors. Gave up, and started to build new material archive in SW2004. I have to admit PW2 looks good.... but I would like some of the " old" standard materials back. Names are the same, but they seem to behave differently.

Anyway, does not happen too often, I guess.......

Mamba

Reply to
Mamba

I didn't have good luck with the conversion process either.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez